Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Satellite phones

Bruce,

What brand of sat phone did you rent?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

Have you thought about putting your coach on the Alaska Ferry out of Bellingham? The Al-Can North of Edmonton is drier than dust, you won't miss much of anything, unless you ket your kicks out of going down to the local barbershop and watching haircuts. The ferry has a satellite that makes your cell phone work, although I think they charge international rates...couple of days, inside passage, it's really nice. Once you get to Haynes you should be golden with regular cell phone service. No broken windshields, rock damage and aggrevation....just a tought!

John

John,

The Alaskan Ferry out of Bellingham sounds great. We will certainly consider it.

Thanks for the advice!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Scott T Guest

Default Satellite Phones

Tuga
    We have crews going up and down the Alaska Hiway to Fort Nelson and the cell phone coverage is good. The only exception is down in a valley crossing a river. Contact Lynden Transport 1-800-326-5702 or www.lynden.com They have scheduled freight runs from Houston to Anchorage on a weekly basis. They will be able to answer your questions. Don't take the ferry both ways- do the drive, the roads are much improved and the scenery is breath taking. I have a 60' pad with power, water and sewer, that is available for POG members. It is located close to the Edmonton International Airport. There is lots to do and see while in the area. You need to plan the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper via the ice fields HighWay. I will be available to those heading to Alaska- let me know your schedule and I can help with getting you there and back. Living in Coon Ass country, you have never seen 24 hours of daylight. If you are in Alaska the 21st of June it is light all day and night, and there are no snakes, but there are mosquitoes. There are lots of other motorhomes on the road to and from Alaska, so you can visit and exchange ideas at the camp sites. Early June last year, I was waiting for one of our men to fly into Fort Nelson, I started counting Motorhomes heading north, while waiting- counted 129 from 10:00 am till 3:30 pm. The road is not as bad as some have indicated. I drove my new coach from Sanford Flordia to Dallas last week, and some of the freeways I drove on, are chewed up- there is no perfect roadway from start to finish, same applies for the roads to Alaska. Take your time and you will be glad you made the trip-with cell phone coverage.
    Scott T

Scott T,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if Sprint works on the Alcan Hiway between Dawson Creek and Anchorage? I have looked at Sprint's coverage map, and it looks like there is no coverage!
    I sent an email to Lynden Transport and mentioned your name. I asked about the cell phone coverage for Sprint so we will see what the drivers say.

I could certainly use the 60' RV site in Edmonton on June 13th or 14th if the offer is still open. I have a Newell, but I am a POGGER at heart! I will be picking up a couple of friends at the airport in Edmonton on June 13th.

I am so excited about Alaska, I can hardly wait to leave.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Scott T Guest

Default Satallite Phone

Tuga
    You are most welcome to use the site, no hard feelings from me, about your choice of M/H; all POGGERS are welcome. Look forward to meeting you , your wife and your friends. It will be a fun time, for you folks. Will keep you posted on the cell coverage.
    Scott