Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Satellite phones

Default Satellite phones

We will be going to Alaska in June 2010, and I want to buy a satellite phone. I am looking at the Iridium 9555. Can anyone comment on this phone; good or bad. Iridium is advertised as the best sat phone. Globalstar has the lowest per minute charges.

What kind do you have and why did you buy that brand?

Would you buy a sat phone on eBay?

I have looked on eBay and there are quite a few to choose from; new & used.

How do the minutes work? Do they expire after a certain time?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by merle&louise; 10-17-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Should you really need one of those things, I would rent one. The air time is steep, 2-3 dollars a minute with a minimum charge per connection and the quality is only so-so. Remember you have to be outside to use the thing with a clear view of the sky. Also remember that big brother monitors your conversations.............

John

John,

What you say is true; it is expensive but it is also the only game in town!

Cell phones won't work north of Calgary. So satellite phones seem to be the only way to keep in touch with the lower 48 when we are between major towns.

Does anyone know if cell phones will work in the major cities like Anchorage, Fairbanks, Whitehorse, etc ? We have Sprint coverage.

Has anyone ever rented a satellite phone? I see that they can be rented for $160 per month.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Don't know about Whitehorse but mine works fine in both Fairbanks and Anchorage....cell phone that is!

Looks like you have 8 months or so...maybe you could become a Ham Radio Guy......probably be cheaper and more reliable than the Sat Phone although you coach might look like a radio station

John

John,

What cell carrier do you use? I have Sprint.

I think I will just rent a satellite phone and go that route.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

I have AT&T but it worked fine in Alaska, big cities, if you want to call them that.

We did a project a couple of years back with the Iridium Phones...they work well, but the downside is that unless you are outside, you would never know that you had a call. Should you want to talk to say the grand kids, it would be cheaper to find the nearest airport and fly down and do that. We also used them in the airplanes, when I was active with the airlines, they were splendid however we were always 30,000 feet or higher when we used them....even then, the company bitched if there was not a good reason to use them....the connect fee's were high and the per minute charges were even higher than ARINC. ( a private company run and owned by the airlines).

You might take a look at Data Storm or one of the others then buy yourself an account with one of those internet phone companies (Vonage) and give that a go. It certainly would be cheaper, at the end of the day, although those satellites are orbiting the equator and the angles may be too much.....I dunno.

John

What's internet coverage like? If good you could use "Skype".
    GregM

jelmore Guest

Tuga, you might check with Rogers, a Canadian company. Here's there coverage ... http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...ork_LowerBadge

Seems we used them or Sprint or AT&T partnered with them when we were in Canada. Or maybe you could get a short term account.

Verizon seems to have pretty good coverage up there, too. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...atorController

Maybe you're planning on being very remote?

I used my AT&T cellphone all over Alaska (including Denali) several years ago. However, some friends traveling with us didn't have coverage so I guess it depends on your provider. Good luck.

Bonnie

My AT&T cell phone worked in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Seward and Denali as well. I don't remember any coverage problems in that line of cities.
    Richard and Audrey Barnes
    and Jessie Jane The Wonder Dog!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

My Blood Runs Deep Orange