Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Height Norgren Coil - 5 Port - Steering Bay

Default Travel Height Norgren Coil - 5 Port - Steering Bay

Jon has covered this a gazzilion times, but when it happens to you, the more information the better.

Got home from OKC and the bus would not come back up to ride height after lowering to unload. I had to use the manual position and level up the bus to get it in the garage.

This is a simple fix, if you have the parts and can be easily diagnosed by just swapping out the center position valve (right height) with one of the other valves to determine if the coil is the problem. Another easy way is to put 24 volts to the coil and see if it magnetizes. This is a 30.00 part and I now carry a spare coil and valve with "O" rings.

IMG_3109_1.JPG
    Coil Part #641929 - 30.89

IMG_3108_1.JPG
    Valve and Coil

Good post, Tom.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

This is not a common problem considering the number of coaches in POG and the number of miles driven, but a solenoid valve and coil failure is not an unheard of problem.

AJ had a similar problem and fortunately he was where he could get a replacement part.

If you should experience an inability to restore the coach to ride height there is an easy fix so do not be tempted to drive with the coach raised up or dropped down.

All the solenoid valves that control the suspension system are stacked on a manifold located on the rear bulkhead in the lower compartment beneath the driver's seat. On coaches with five solenoids the center solenoid is the ride height control valve. It is continuously open (and the coil powered ) any time the ignition key is on and the coach suspension control in the drive or road position. Should it fail to function as Tom's did, to make a temporary repair to get you moving swap coils with any other coil, or swap the entire solenoid valve.

On older coaches with the 4 valve manifold I do not know which solenoid valve and coil is for the ride or drive position, but it can be easily determined by seeing which one has 24V power coming into it when the key is on and the ride or drive position has been selected.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking

Jon, does this tip pertain to Country Coach?

JIM

Jim, you are not making friends with posts like that. Yes, it pertains to all coaches with our type level low suspension.

Some coaches have the HWH system (and I am shooting from the lip), but I think the HWH sends its ride position electrical commands through the same solenoid array.

Red face

Whoops, I didn't mean it that way.

JIM

Based on comments in this thread, I am wondering if my bus goes to ride height when I start it and let it run a few minutes without putting it in "Drive"? I notice mine always exhausts after running for a couple minutes whether I place it in gear or not. I always assumed when it exhausted, it was "road ready". Am I right or wrong in that assumption?

Yesterday, when I started to back out of the garage (before I placed it in gear), when it exhaused it had raised to a little over 12" just in front of my front wheels. Measuring from the bottom of the stainless to the concrete.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale, On my Bus it will not go to road height when started if the green light on our HWH panel is not lighted. After starting and reaching full air you can manually touch " travel " on the soft pad and it will go to road height. Of course as soon as you put the transmission in any gear the green light will automatically come on and road height will happen.

Now that I'm writing this I am questioning my wisdom.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim, I think maybe I should read my instructions again. It could be I am starting the bus and it is going to the level position I stopped it. I do know it goes to road height when I place it in gear or select "Travel". I have never paid much attention to what it does if I start the bus, leave in neutral and don't touch the panel.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!