Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: DANGER....INSPECTION REQUIRED

Since I just did this on my bus I can say that unless your coach has some obstructions I do not have, the installation should be easy and not involve a lot of time.

The only precaution I would suggest is that as you drill in the vicinity of the wire bundles you use extra care to make sure the drill does not slip or the bit does not break. You want to take pains to not risk damaging the insulation on the wires in those bundles. I found there was ample room to drill the holes without coming close to the wires.

Default Box repair

Jon
    Would you think that if the box is secure now that added bolts and rivets would alieviate the need for the reinforcements?

Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

I checked my box before the OKC trip. I knew from experience and another owner that the box can drop onto the engine. My box prior to the trip was secure and I did not detect any broken rivets.

When we got home 1750 miles later the box that I thought was secure was laying on the engine intake tubing coming from the intercooler.

So my first response is we do not know if these are secure. Bill Jensen checked with Prevost Canada and said the real fix is to drill out the rivets, increase the holes to 1/4" and use 1/4" stainless steel pop rivets in place of the 3/16" aluminum rivets installed at the factory. That may be the ultimate repair, but I know that is not easy to do because just replacing the original rivets on my box involved some work.

The brackets I am supplying are not intended to be a permanent fix, but will keep the box from dropping if the rivets fail. I just do not know if they will fail, or if they will, when that will happen.

The bracket attachment to the box is via screws that are perpendicular to the pop rivets, so if the rivets do fail the screws are not in tension, like the rivets, but will be held in shear. I think we will recognize the box has failed rivets and then can make the permanent repair because at that time it will be necessary. I replaced my rivets with the originals prior to talking to Bill Jensen otherwise I would have used the oversize stainless rivets.

All the angles have been inserted in their shipping envelopes and on Monday morning when the post office opens I will be sending them out to all who have provided Eric (or Debbie) with their address.

I believe he has emailed all who are on the list the installation instructions so by the end of the week you all should be good to go.

If there are any questions, post them here since they might benefit all.

IF YOU CHOOSE TO NOT REINFORCE THE MOUNTING OF YOUR REAR ELECTRIC BOX AT THE VERY LEAST CHECK THE POSTS AT THE BOTTOM OUTSIDE OF THE BOX AND MAKE CERTAIN THOSE POSTS ARE NOT LIVE. IF YOU CAN GET A VOLTAGE READING OFF ANY POST, IF YOUR ELECTRIC BOX COMES LOOSE FROM THE SUPPORTS IT WILL COME IN CONTACT WITH METAL CREATING A SHORT. THAT SHORT CIRCUIT MAY TRIP THE BUS MASTER ELECTRIC CIRCUIT BREAKERS AND YOUR BUS WILL STOP RUNNING INSTANTLY.

Exclamation FINAL OPPORTUNITY

I am almost ready to send out the last of the electric box brackets. I am sending them out to Alek, Harborbus and Jim Shoen.

If anyone else needs a set send me a PM or email with your address. I only have a limited number remaining so first come first served.

Jon, I sent you a PM a couple days ago. I got my brackets, so I'm good, thanks

Elliott McLeod
    Harborbus