Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Locking pin for slides

Default Locking pin for slides

I am going to have to replace a locking pin on my rear slide, it does not unlock every time. At prevost it cost about $750. Are there any other sources?
    Bill

Why does it need replacement? It is a big heavy piece of steel and it is hard to imagine that it could be broken or even worn.

If you can get it in your hand I'll bet a machine shop could make one for a lot less using the existing one as a model.

Default Slide Question?

While we are on slides, has anyone come up with the proper way to trick the slide into going inside far enough to expose the bladder seal?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Default lock pin

Jon:
    I cant understand how the pin can be bad. I stopped at prevost in Nashville and that was their advice. Getting to the pin is the hard part,behind a cabinet. Before I replace the pin I will try to work it and lubricate it and see if it will work ok, It just hangs sometime and when I raise the tag it then will release.

Roger, The slide can be manually move in far enough but it is quite a complicated job and so I would talk to Prevost first becaus if the pin goes in at the wrong time it will break the glass.
    Bill

So Bill, Prevost has determined you have a bad pin without seeing it? With the slide out can you see any evidence in the receiver that the pin is deformed, damaged or otherwise exhibiting signs it needs replacement?

If one pin hangs, and you can release it by lifting the tag, then I would say the flex in the chassis is relieving pressure holding the pin in place. Assuming that is what is happening wouldn't it make sense to adjust the position of the pin to relieve that pressure? But what do I know? I don't have any slides.

Unsolicited, I think Jon's initial assessment is the more logical, otherwise one would have to assume the pin is not designed properly. to point where it bends/deforms, or the mechanism that moves and holds the pin is insufficiently robust. I would think that unlikely, and that an adjustment would be better tried first, more easily and less costly to begin.

The Good Lord loves rivets and the Devil invented slides. End of story.

Why does Prevost keep repairing Gary's slide out under warranty and they want big bucks to fix Bill's??

Can't explain why some are repaired gratis while others appear to be free, however....

At one time (and I presume this policy remains today) Prevost guaranteed their repairs for one year. Obviously some repairs are actually maintenance such as seal replacement, but others such as relates to pins for example are repairs.

If someone has had something repaired and it broke at the 11th month it get repaired under warranty and I presume that repair restarts the clock. If someone can get their bus or its systems to fail every 11th month it seems an intitial investment with Prevost for the repairs is all that is needed for lifetime repairs. Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Can't explain why some are repaired gratis while others appear to be free, however....

At one time (and I presume this policy remains today) Prevost guaranteed their repairs for one year. Obviously some repairs are actually maintenance such as seal replacement, but others such as relates to pins for example are repairs.

If someone has had something repaired and it broke at the 11th month it get repaired under warranty and I presume that repair restarts the clock. If someone can get their bus or its systems to fail every 11th month it seems an intitial investment with Prevost for the repairs is all that is needed for lifetime repairs. Good luck with that.
    Well there you go, Jon has finally realized that a Prevost is an investment. He used to rant on about a bus was not an investment but I always knew he was wrong. I think he missed school the day "Buy High, Sell Low" was covered, which is when we talked about bus trading. Loc must have gotten him up to speed in OKC.

You are really starting to piss me off Mel.

I said the purchase of repairs could be an investment, not the purchase of a bus. I further qualified that by saying you needed to get things to break on an 11 month schedule.

Haven't you pulled the wire on the damn clutch yet? If you would quit trying to break my chops you would have time to do that investigative work. I was going to go easy on you about the comment about Jan washing the bus, but not any more. I will educate her when I see her next.