Thread: Locking pin for slides

Hybrid View

Default Locking pin for slides

I am going to have to replace a locking pin on my rear slide, it does not unlock every time. At prevost it cost about $750. Are there any other sources?
    Bill

Why does it need replacement? It is a big heavy piece of steel and it is hard to imagine that it could be broken or even worn.

If you can get it in your hand I'll bet a machine shop could make one for a lot less using the existing one as a model.

Default Slide Question?

While we are on slides, has anyone come up with the proper way to trick the slide into going inside far enough to expose the bladder seal?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Default lock pin

Jon:
    I cant understand how the pin can be bad. I stopped at prevost in Nashville and that was their advice. Getting to the pin is the hard part,behind a cabinet. Before I replace the pin I will try to work it and lubricate it and see if it will work ok, It just hangs sometime and when I raise the tag it then will release.

Roger, The slide can be manually move in far enough but it is quite a complicated job and so I would talk to Prevost first becaus if the pin goes in at the wrong time it will break the glass.
    Bill

So Bill, Prevost has determined you have a bad pin without seeing it? With the slide out can you see any evidence in the receiver that the pin is deformed, damaged or otherwise exhibiting signs it needs replacement?

If one pin hangs, and you can release it by lifting the tag, then I would say the flex in the chassis is relieving pressure holding the pin in place. Assuming that is what is happening wouldn't it make sense to adjust the position of the pin to relieve that pressure? But what do I know? I don't have any slides.

Unsolicited, I think Jon's initial assessment is the more logical, otherwise one would have to assume the pin is not designed properly. to point where it bends/deforms, or the mechanism that moves and holds the pin is insufficiently robust. I would think that unlikely, and that an adjustment would be better tried first, more easily and less costly to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1170 View Post
    It just hangs sometime and when I raise the tag it then will release. Bill

Bill, you said if you raise the tag, your pins will release?

In my bus, when I operate the slide, the raising of the tag or at least the release of pressure on the tag always happens first, then the other operational features begin to drive the slide out.

Maybe in the newer models the process is different?

Gary S.