Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leveling jacks

We just find a campground in our big rig rv book and pull in there for the nite. The $30 bucks spent for a good nites rest is well worth it. I have stayed in the Wallmarts but I do get out and inspect my coach and tow before I take off just in case somebody thought it would be funny to unhook your tow I have heard of that happening. Don't give the guy with the card board sign a few bucks and he gets even with you What kind of horses do you show?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Tuls View Post
    We just find a campground in our big rig rv book and pull in there for the nite. The $30 bucks spent for a good nites rest is well worth it. I have stayed in the Wallmarts but I do get out and inspect my coach and tow before I take off just in case somebody thought it would be funny to unhook your tow I have heard of that happening. Don't give the guy with the card board sign a few bucks and he gets even with you What kind of horses do you show?
    With Sid on this - although have laid over in Home Depot, Walmarts, and truck stops, I don't tend to rest near as well. Would rather just drag out the big rig book and find a spot. Much more restful night for me personally.

Exclamation

My comments are not only for overnight stops.

You have to be on guard at all times, even stopping for fuel, food, or sightseeing.

JIM

I'm all in favor of campgrounds, however........

When we are travelling from point A to point B and it is more than a single day drive I don't want a "campground" or RV park. I want a safe secure site and if it has hookups that makes it even better.

But I want it within a stone's throw of the highway. I don't want to travel 5 miles west then go 2 more miles south or whatever the long directions are. I want to get off at the exit and travel a few hundred feet and turn into the spot I will be staying in.

When I get there I just want to give the person at the desk some cash and go to where I will park for the night. I don't want to fill out forms that ask my life history, I don't want to unhook, I don't want to hear about the laundry, the combination to the toilets, or review the park rules. I just want to pull into a space and get out of the driver seat.

When we do have to stop overnight before getting to our destination that is why we pick a rest area (end spot) or truck stop (protected end spot). Our first choice is the big rig book, but if the choices involve a lot of driving off the interstate to get there the second choice is a rest area. If I am going to take on fuel, and the truck stop has cheap fuel and it makes sense to overnight there we will do that if I can get a spot where I will not get blocked in or hit by a truck backing in. Sometimes a Cracker Barrel works well for us.

I see a real need for transient overnight secure parking. Best Western was doing that and may still be doing it. They had an adjacent parking area to the hotel and if you went in and gave the clerk $5 you could stay the night. It was on private property, it was well lighted, it was watched all night long, and the lot was shared by truckers who also wanted a little security or who had rented a room. Campgrounds in close proximity to the interstate could offer that also. No hookups, but safe overnight parking.

I agree with all of the above except the "shades down". I keep mine up, except bedroom, so I can see out and those out can see in and see that the bus is occupied. If we leave to walk into Walmart, or any other store where we are parked, I can also see in to spot anyone that should not be there. I also carry at least two weapons with me - one in the front and one in the back.

WE do have slides, but do not use them if just "stopped" in a rest stop or truck parking. I am with Jon in that always ready to start and move except for the shades. I also do not put the air slide out over the stairs so that we could get out of the bus in an emergency (fire or other problem). When we are driving from point A to B usually only are pulling over for 2-4 hours, and leaving very early.

We have had one time when someone did try and unhook the toad. They got as far as pulling the pins out of the arms when I started the bus and moved. It caused us some problems, but we still were safe.

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
    WE do...

We have had one time when someone did try and unhook the toad. They got as far as pulling the pins out of the arms when I started the bus and moved. It caused us some problems, but we still were safe.

Locking pins. We had no issues, but decided we did not want to re-think things as we travelled from point to point. We now lock our towbar at the hitch and at the hitch points on the toad. Worst that can happen. we loose a cable. Maybe a few seconds more time to unhook, but nominal at worst.

sticks Guest

We show quarter horses. Lunge line and western pleasure. Also raise quarter race horses. So we got em fast and we got em slow. We partner on some bucking bulls, so we follow the rodeo circuit as well and always go to the PBR and NFR in Vegas every year.

I am very comfortable staying in WalMarts, Lowe's, and Home Depot. We usually run the bedroom slide out and leave the front slide in (unless we are traveling with a guest- then we run the front slide out as well). I have never been threaten or harassed. If that did happen, I can draw the slides in and just drive off. There is no need to go outside.

Also, there are almost always other motorhomes parked in these freebie overnight spots. I like them!

If we stay in a WalMart supercenter we usually need to go inside to pick up some more grub or supplies.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot