Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilots N Paws THANKS POGGERS!

Default Pilots N Paws THANKS POGGERS!

Dear fellow Poggers,

Jon and I are once again overwhelmed with the generosity you have shown by donating to our Pilots N Paws program. PNP jumpstarted with POG and has grown to include over 1000 pilots and almost 4500 registered users on the website. We continue to help animals in need and it is because of your giving spirit that we can provide pilots and rescues with the resources they need to get these rescue animals to safety.

From a pregnant dobie tied to a tree in MS to a flight we are doing this month helping transport a soldiers dog that he found in a cave in Afghanistan while on patrol and adopted her, you are helping us make a difference.

Please remind everyone to spay and neuter their pets and to volunteer with your local shelters and animals rescue groups. It takes all of us to educate the public and join hands to encourage responsible pet ownership. Jon often states that our goal is to recruit 10,000 pilots......my personal goal is for Pilots N Paws to no longer be needed, that would be a great day!

From our hearts to yours, thank you.

Debi and Jon too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Debi has hit the nail on the head. We need people to be responsible for their pets so we can eliminate the need for pilotsnpaws. But I think that may be wishful thinking.

Until that happens we have pilots all over the country generously giving their time and planes to transport animals from high kill areas of the country to areas wher they can be adopted into good home. We also have transported service animals and as Debi pointed out pets in special circumstances such as a soldier's dog. As we grow we are going to require both money and expertise to refine or redesign our web site to make searches and transport request postings more automated. As the number of transports increase it is going to be impossible for pilots to find them in their area without better web site tools.

This past year we have bought crates for pilots who transport animals, we have paid for some web site expenses, for legal help such as incorporating, for shirts for pilots, and we will continue to do all of the above plus we plan to seek professional help with our website.

We will never be able to save all the 4,000,000 to 9,000,000 animals euthanized annually in this country, but we will save a lot simply by getting them out of harms way, and we will use the media's willinglness to cover PNP transports to preach about the need for strong spay and neuter lwas and programs.

Thank you all for so generously donating not only to PNP but the other two charities at the POG auction. This group demonstrates regularly just how willing it is to help those in need and it is a privledge to be a part of this group.

Default Another kind of rescue....

Well, on the subject of pets and rescues, I have a story to share with everyone.

On the way home from the rally, we stopped at a Flying J along I-40 in the town of Russselville, Arkansas. We planned on spending the night in their empty parking lot after dinner. While we're inside the restaurant, who should stop by and surprise us is none other than Mrs. Truk!!

They were driving by, saw our bus, and wanted to let us know that they had found a great overnight campsite not 1/2 mile further down the road and invited us to join them. Ivy Cove is the name of the campground and it is a perfect spot for an overnight stop... open sites, large roads, 50 amp service. Highly recommended if you need a stopping spot along I-40 in Arkansas.

So, as the REAL BAD weather was approaching, and we were all enjoying a cocktail or two outside, a stray calico cat (not much older than a kitten) approached us and was very friendly and looked hungry. Since bad weather was fast approaching, Janice and Nancy made up a meal for her and placed it near the front steps to the office, hoping that she would seek shelter there during the predicted stormy night. Having taken care of this little critter, we all settled in for the night.

The following morning we headed east along I-40 in miserable weather. After a quick lunch break, we arrived at our destination, Tom Sawyer RV Park in West Memphis. It was only a few hundred miles, but felt like a long day behind the wheel in that weather. That evening we all went out to dinner and when we returned, Janice and Nancy spotted a cat running from the general direction of the back of our busses, and claimed it looked like the same one from Ivy Cove.

Well, after some calling the cat emerged from under the bus and, sure enough, it was the same calico cat that had befriended us in Russelville!

We called Ivy Cove to inquire if the kitten was still there, and they said she was no where to be found. We let them know that she was safe and had somehow hitched a ride with us.

Now, where this cat hid during the journey, and why she didn't make her escape when we stopped for lunch, is beyond me. But apparently she had her sights set on a new home.

So, the Horner bus household now has another member...... Ivy

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    Well, after some calling the cat emerged from under the bus and, sure enough, it was the same calico cat that had befriended us in Russelville!

We called Ivy Cove to inquire if the kitten was still there, and they said she was no where to be found. We let them know that she was safe and had somehow hitched a ride with us.

Now, where this cat hid during the journey, and why she didn't make her escape when we stopped for lunch, is beyond me. But apparently she had her sights set on a new home.

So, the Horner bus household now has another member...... Ivy
    Great story with a very happy ending for all concerned! It looks like you've been adopted!

Paul and Janice,

What a miracle this little kitty survived the undercarriage travel accomodations! She is very lucky to have you and often times the best pets are the ones who choose you

Thank you for rescuing her.....

Debi

This was an unbelievable story, but very true. My take is the cat climbed up in our Jeep engine compartment during the stormy night, where it was warm and dry. Paul unhooked his Jeep when we checked in at West Memphis and drove it to our site, but ours stayed hooked to the bus.

No matter how this kitty hitched a ride, she now has a new home with Paul & Janice who will take good care of her.

IMG_3103_1.JPG
    The cat with 10 lives....

Default Cat Tales

Janice: that is the sweetest story, what a wonderful destination for the kitten to be with you and Paul. We are not home yet and I miss my cat Dori! We will be looking forward to meeting Ivy in the near future.

Micki
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

What a heart-warming story. Congratulations on the newest addition to your family. She's a cutie.

Bonnie

Congratulations Janice and Paul on your new baby! She is very pretty. We love the story. Ivy is a very lucky cat.

Deb, Eric, and Jay

Biloxi, MS (Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast)

Smile

Paul and Janice: Looks like you have a great addition to your family. I look forward to seeing her when I get to PSL. Pets that pick you make outstanding pets.