Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Country Coach Owners

All kidding aside, Nascar has tear off plastic windshield protectors. It must be a sophisticated version of Saran Wrap.

Is there anything out there like the carpet protector film that can be applied to the front of the bus for long trips, and then just peeled off at the end of the trip?

No bug screen translates into a lot of work when it is bug season, and exposes the coach to dents and dings.

A POLYCARBONATE shield (bug screen and dent preventer) prevents the dings, but is an equally large PITA to clean.

Somewhere in the middle between none and cow catcher (couldn't resist) must be a solution that makes bug clean up easier and contributes to protecting the front from chips, dents and dings.

Actually Jon, they are easy to clean. There is a big difference between cleaning and polishing when it comes to Lexan. People tend to defer maintenance on the shields until they become so scratched and milky that the polishing job becomes immense. As for bugs, I was told long ago by a really old geezer to use white vinegar and water. I didn't do too well in organic chemestry but suffice to say, he was correct. Seems that the bugs, which are protein, instantly become partially digested by the acidic properties in vinegar; wipe over the critters with the 50-50 mix, wait 5 minutes and wash off......bugs gone!

How does the acid react with the paint and aluminum trim?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    How does the acid react with the paint and aluminum trim?

You just made a good case for a Lexan Shield!

Actually vinegar (white vinegar) is mild. We use it on painted a/c leading edges all of the time with no problems. You could speed up the process with muriatic acid and water but that one, guaranteed, will damage the paint.

By the way, to clarify my last, the vinegar and water does not digest the exoskeleton left behind by the decedent insect but rather the entrails (stomach, liver, etc.) that exited same upon impact and quickly became the "glue" that attached the remains to the vehicle. In other words, the bugs are still there, they do not disappear, they just wash or wipe off easily with little or no elbow grease.

John

Dale, What a great idea.

Thank you for putting this together.

Mike Kerley
    1992 XL, 1993 CC conversion

Default bug Clean up

Has anyone tried the WashWax product with their scrub brush ? I've used it on both stainless and paint, with no ill effects. The big plus is that it leaves a semi waxed finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme James View Post
    Has anyone tried the WashWax product with their scrub brush ? I've used it on both stainless and paint, with no ill effects. The big plus is that it leaves a semi waxed finish.
    Nope, but I will try anything once. The dryer sheets that women put in a clothes dryer sorta work. You wet a few of them and wipe down the front of the bus before heading out. Then when you get bugged up, you wet a few more and the bugs rub off easier. If that smell wasn't so strong I would do it all the time. The Shurhold (what happened to them) product "Serious Shine" works about like wax. It will also prevent spots on the stainless after a rain which is nice. The wash brush I bought from Shurhold is as good as it gets. Jan does a nice job with a bit of encouragement.

Default Bugs

I have tried the drier sheets myself, with limited success. The WashWax seems to work very well, with a 5 minute soak time, then rewet the surface, and scrub. But what I really want to know about is this " encouragement " issue ...... That's what I think is limiting my success .... James

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme James View Post
    I have tried the drier sheets myself, with limited success. The WashWax seems to work very well, with a 5 minute soak time, then rewet the surface, and scrub. But what I really want to know about is this " encouragement " issue ...... That's what I think is limiting my success .... James

James, try phrases like this. Sweetheart, you do such a good job on the bus. or Sugar, you missed a spot, or my personal favorite, Don't forget the roof, do you need help getting up there?
    You might start by asking her, Dear, why do you think it's called "Mother's Polish"