Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strength of Bed Lift: how much mattress weight can it handle?

Default Strength of Bed Lift: how much mattress weight can it handle?

Good afternoon from Huntsville, TN:

Deb and I are considering putting TempurPedic mattress on bed. It is a pretty heavy mattress, although I'm not sure exact weight. We have 2003 Liberty, with automatic bed lift. Do any of you know if the air lifts are strong enough to support the weight of a TempurPedic mattress? Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN

Interesting question Eric - Jennifer wants a new mattress for our bus after our recent 9 night trip. I like it, she thinks it is too firm.

Ours is air lift - is the Liberty air or mechanical?

Should be. The lift action will be slightly delayed until the pressure increases to the point where the bed is raised. We've left 'stuff', such as suitcases, clothes, etc., left the lights off in the bedroom at night, and (the other person) had to go in the storage area underneath for something, hit the switch (button) without looking, and regretted it.

Google memory foam - you will find that a 3" memory foam topper gives the same results at half the weight and a quarter the price - we have one on our bus and had one on our Vogue before.

For what it's worth, on those cold Maine nights, we have one at home.

Great nights sleep.

We put a standard, residential, queen sized mattress in the bus when we purchased it, and it is HEAVY!! Much heavier than the one we removed.

That being said, the bed lift works fine. As mentioned before, the mattress might lift a tad slower, but it's hard to say because it's not much different at all.
    Last edited by phorner; 03-24-2010 at 06:05 PM.

I have a TempurPedic California King and the bed lift works great,I also have a new Queen TempurPedic at Liberty that I would like to sell for 1/2 price.

If Eric and Deb pass, we might be interested....

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    I have a TempurPedic California King and the bed lift works great,I also have a new Queen TempurPedic at Liberty that I would like to sell for 1/2 price.
    If Eric and Deb, and then Paul all pass, I'm interested!

If I remember correctly JDUB indicated they had put a TempurPedic mattress in their coach ...

We have a Queen TempurPedic in our bus and it's great. However, we do not have an air lift and the existing manual gas struts aren't strong enough to even begin to hold it up.

I suppose the positive aspect is that I'll soon be able to out-lift the Governator if I have to keep getting things from under the bed.