Thread: Brake for tow

Default Brake for tow

Planning a trip into Canada and a friend says that they require that you have an air brake system on your tow. I guess I'm asking has any of you ran into this? And if so what to you recommend. Thanks

M&G brake system is air activated and it will work on your Tahoe,I have it on a 2007 Chevy truck.I bought mine from hotrodparts.com or you can buy it direct from the factory.

Research this carefully before you buy and install a toad braking system. I found this link that gives a little information on the subject.

http://www.rversonline.org/ArtFAQ10.html

From past reserach, I believe the law in Canada was that any tow car behind a motor home needed to have a barke system that would stop the tow car if it came loose from the motor home. I do not think it is a requirement for it to be connected to the air brake system. There are a lot of systems available for installation in tow cars that will apply the brakes in the event of hard braking by the motor home or if the tow car breaks away from the motor home.

Please review http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...splay.php?f=10 for a LOT more information on towing.
    Last edited by ajducote; 10-06-2009 at 07:53 AM.

We use the SMI Air Brake system, easy to install and it works well. We have entered Canada this summer several times, never ever have we been asked about our brake system or anything else for that matter.

There are many motorhomes that do not have air brakes that tow using other methods for toad braking, including the Brake Buddy which in my opinion is crappy option on a good day.

All Toad connections use a brake breakaway system that when connection is broken will apply the Toad brake as part of a safety fail safe system.

Thanks for all the responses. I looked up M&G Braking Systems and I have a local dealer. I made contact with him and said he has installed 35 units. He said it's easy hooking up to my bus. Thanks again

Sid,I developed a vacuum leak in my truck between the booster and the M&G air cylinder,I called M&G and they told me to take it loose and put a small layer of silicone glue around the O ring,this did stop the leak.I would have the dealer do this during install.