Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue Beacon Truck Washes

Andre,

When we were in Kerrville for the Fat Beagle Rally, I started washing my coach and when I was half way thru I was told to stop by a Buckhorn employee. They cited a lack of water. Made sense to me since the creek bed was dry!

Pete Petree told me that he uses a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle & a micro towel. I tried it and it works very well; however, it takes a long time to do the entire coach. A lot of up & down on the ladder to get to the higher sides of the coach. But it does use less water.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Sid, I think the Beacon wash thing depends on the specific wash location and their attitude, adding to that the attitude and willingness and capability of the help to do a good job. You know just like going to a service center or the Doctor, or calling an electrician into your home.

Yes my beacon wash was in the winter and I wanted the salt off the bus. It was a sunny dry day and below freezing. Had I left it on there would have been far worse consequences than a "bad wash". I was worried about what "bad" might happen, but went ahead anyway and was pleasantly surprised with a good job. I can't say for sure if that is the norm or the exception, but I am going to try again.

I have some areas of loose paint and pointed them out to the "washer" and he said no problem and the paint is still there. I asked for no acid or harsh chemicals and not to have the pressure too high. I was assured that was the norm and not to worry. They (2 washers) began to wet the whole bus down with a general spray blowing all the loose "stuff/dirt" off around the bus in a circle twice and then with long handled soft wide brushes, went around the bus vertically stroking. After that they sprayed it again and from what I remember I was done. I was very nervous and followed them around as they went.

Oh yes at one point they sprayed out the wheel wells and wheels and I opened the four engine compartment doors to have the doors and the frame edges and bumper top edges washed only. NO ENGINE SPRAYING!

I told the guys up front I would give them a tip if they would do what I asked. I don't know if that was necessary or the norm.

While waiting in line for the wash I asked others waiting (nice looking trucks) if they have had any negative experiences around the country and none had.

I believe the wash I went to used "treated water" soft water of some sort. I don't know if all do.

So from that because it was so easy I will try again. I hope it will go well again.

I OKC there are three Beacon washes. I decided to try the one a little south and to the East of the rally, the manager put his picture in the add and seemed to convey a certain "proudness" of his facility. This may be a foolish assessment, but there is nothing else. Time will tell.

Life is a crap shoot anyway, isn't it

ps I
    If you pulled out on a 100 deg day you might get some spotting when the water drys right now, but you could pull to the side and dry it yourself if you wanted. That would be easier than washing and drying it yourself.

pps
    If you try a wash and there is no line be sure to let the bus cool off from your highway run so as not to distort etc any hot bus parts!!!

JIM

Thumbs up Of Coarse we want to clean our Coach

Depending on how much time you want to spend, there is a waterless car wash, and protective glaze product. DRI WASH N' GUARD.
    It sprays on and wipes off. Takes a lot of time however.
    Are they going to have private detail company's at the park. That is the best alternative if the park objects to washing.
    I would hope this has been discussed with the park since it is a important part of our groups necessary tasks when we arrive.
    I have not been to a POG rally yet where both washing by individuals and private contractors were not allowed.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Smile

I'm really new at it but a good friend told me to try Maguires (pink Bottle) and it seems to work real well. I use a lot of water first soak it then a lot of soap and a soft brush. I haven't squeegeed yet but it seems to leave very few spots. Also does OK on the bugs.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Depending on how much time you want to spend, there is a waterless car wash, and protective glaze product. DRI WASH N' GUARD.
    It sprays on and wipes off. Takes a lot of time however.
    Are they going to have private detail company's at the park. That is the best alternative if the park objects to washing.
    I would hope this has been discussed with the park since it is a important part of our groups necessary tasks when we arrive.
    I have not been to a POG rally yet where both washing by individuals and private contractors were not allowed.

Hi Gary,

I used a RV washing service at Buckhorn a few years ago when I had my 93 Newell. They used a strong chemical to wash it with and rinsed with soft water. They didn't rinse it thoroughly enough and it left some streaks on the dark blue paint. That was the last time I used the RV washing service.

I'm sure that not all washing service do this, but if you have one wash your bus you might want to watch them closely.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I have tried Beacon Bay on several occasions in several different states. They suck!! I would rather drive my bus dirty than give them anymore of my Lew Bucks.

In Kansas City, MO making our way to OKC,

Ken

Are there any other truck washes that do a better job than Blue Beacon or are they all about the same?

The one that I used on I-20 outside of Dallas was an independent and they did a great job. The rate was kind of high I thought, $90.00

They offered to wash the roof; I declined. They dried the windows and aluminum rims.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

That does sound high. I paid $50 in Pahrump for a private guy to wash the bus. No high pressure, hand wash and wipe down.

Not as good as I would do, but it was a BIG improvement over the 3,000 miles of dust, dirt, bugs and grime that had accumulated.

Still prefer to do it myself..... probably because NO ONE will care more about the outcome than me.

Jeff Bayley Guest

I've used Blue Beacon dozens of times. I tell them to stay away from the drivers side windwon where water gets in and they do. If you tell them up front that what the main things you want is they'll keep washing until they get it done such as "I want all the bugs gone off the fron and front cap".

I always make sure I'm ready to hit the Hwy as soon as they are done and this helps prevent water spots since it air dries sort of.

Also, it seems no matter how dirty it get's, if you do decide to wash the bus, you can usually get by with just washing the bottom half most of the time. The road grime even in the rain just doesn't seem to get above head high usually.

One last thing I'm surprised nobody mentioned. Blue Beacons are in the habit of using harsh chemicals on alluminum trck trailers or their rims. You should tell them you don't want any of those chemicals. Just soap.

As far as what product to use yourself, good old kitchen soap like Joy or similar is just as good as anything else. One less product to keep on board.

Warning: I used a green Scotch pad to try and get some stubborn stuff on my front windows and rubbed so hard it permantley scratched the glass in that area. One of the reaosns I tried getting in on the group window thing. Did that ever happen ?

I too have tried several of the Blue Beacon wash places, and have found ONLY one which I really liked the job.

The BB outside of Casa Grande, AZ. http://www.bluebeacon.com/details/CasaGrande/

They Offer at additional cost HAND DRYING under large blue tents. And most do not offer this additional service. Man those girls and guys did a great job. Total wash includining tips for washers and dryers, $120.00

Gary S.