Thread: Tools of the trade

redliteal Guest

Default Tools of the trade

Ok this may be a simple question or I might be on the simple side, but for those of you who maintain your coach and undertake fluid changes (oil, coolant and transmission), what do you place under your coach to collect the fluids. (In my time, 35 years ago...yikes when I worked at the local gas station we used a gas tank cut in half to collect fluids when the car was not on the hoist. We typically drained the radiators without using the hoist). I am asking this question due the volume of fluids that need to be drained and I'm unsure what is commercially available other than large buckets/pails.

Thanks for your response in advance.

Allen, whatever you have handy that will hold the fluid will work. I use two restaurant bus tubs that I got at Sam's. Lots of places have them. I let one get about half full and then slide the next one in place. I drop the oil filters into a five gallon bucket with some newspaper in the bottom to reduce splash. I'm sure there are more sophisticated tools for collection, but the bus tubs have worked for me for many years.
    Now, Allen, this is important. Bus first, then worry about all the other stuff. Have fun looking!!

Allen,

I made a pan from a 55 gallon drum and drain amounts are never a concern. I just cut off about 18" of the drum with a torch and it works great.

dreamchasers Guest

I searched the internet for oil drain pans for trucks. I found a black plastic drain pan, with wheels. I think is has 58 quart capacity. After I drain the oil in the coach, I bring the used oil to our local waste facility. They have a tank that I drain the used oil into.

My drain pan has plastic wheels built into the tank/pan and make it much easier to maneuver when full.

Do a Google search for truck oil drain pans. This will provide plenty to pick from.

It works for me.

Hector

Default Collect Fluids?

Your supposed to collect the fluids? I thought just pulling up on my neighbors lawn would suffice.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Northern tool has several large drain pans of varying sizes, one in particular is 25 gallons, but rather pricey at $499.00.

JIM

I bought one of the 14 gallon big rectangles with wheels. But it's cumbersome as heck, so I don't use it. Never have. Still brand new, bought at TruckPro in Knoxville, I think. About $60.

So, what do I use? I use two (three for coolant) of those 15 quart round black oil pans you can buy at Advance Auto (or any other auto parts store). When doing oil change and one is almost full, I slide it out with the next one being slid right in its place. Since they're sitting on a board when I do "the slide," I don't get oil all over the floor or the pit floor.

That's my method. I then pour the used oil through funnel into empty gallon jugs and carry to local recycle center.

For antifreeze change, a guy who works on big trucks took it for me. I think Safety Kleen or similar takes it from him for a fee. None of my local auto parts stores, or city dump, or local recycle center would take antifreeze. Bigger towns than mine (e.g. Knoxville, where Jon Wehrenberg lives) happily take antifreeze from Knox County residents.

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Your supposed to collect the fluids? I thought just pulling up on my neighbors lawn would suffice.
    So thats why your area has so many grass fires !!!!!

Gary S.

There is a black rectangular plastic tub masons use to mix morter. They come in 2 sizes. The bigger one works wonderful. Ace, home depo, lowes all sell them.