Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16.5 Power Tech Generator

Default 16.5 Power Tech Generator

Interesting observation this week end while changing oil in my generator. The entire time I have owned this Bus the starting procedure for the generator has always been the same. It never starts on the first try, as if a sensor is telling it not to start. It always starts on the second attempt.

I usually change oil after I let the generator run to get up to operating temp. That way the oil is warm and seems like more oil is removed. This time I changed oil without starting it because the Bus was inside in A.C. and I didn't want to pull it out and sweat. When I removed the oil filter it was empty. No oil ran out. I suspect the napa cross over # 1068 oil filter is not designed to operate in a sideways installation. Perhaps the original oil filter supplied be Power Tech had a safety valve that stopped oil from draining out while on its side.

Boy was I surprised when I removed the oil filter with a rag under it to catch the oil and none came out !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim,

I had a 1987 coach w/ 12.5KW Kohler generator, and it had the same starting procedure. First, I would hit the start button, it would turn over but not start. I would wait a few seconds, then crank it again and it would start right up and run. It went thru this same procedure EVERYTIME I started it.

Never had any problems with; it ran great! When I sold the coach it had over 5,000 hours.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Jeff Bayley Guest

I have a Power Tech that gave me hard starting issues and called Power Tech. There's a knurled finger knob about 1/2" diameter on the front of the generator on the right 1/3rd side. I believe it's an return for unused fuel. It's got a black rubber hose going in and out of it. Gold in color. Your supposed to close it all the way and open it a half turn or so. Mine was vibrating out of adjustment until I ordered a new one. You could check that. Once adjusted right it started easier.

What oil filter should we use instead of a cross over ? Just an OEM Kohler brand ? I'm used Percolators and other ross overs and must have had a NAPA at some point but never noticed lack of oil. Wonder if something is is restricting flow to cycle it through the filter.

Jeff, This is a Kubota engine.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Orren Zook Guest

Jim,

Many oil filters have a front end bypass to allow lubrication to the engine when the filter becomes plugged up. Here's a link to more information on this: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3608724.html

I would check to be sure you are using the correct replacement element on this application, as for the hard start maybe one or more of the glow plugs are failing.... do you get excessive exhaust smoke on the initial start?

Jim,

I think the starting procedure is standard on our generators. When I set mine to "Gen Start" over the dash or when I start it with any of the other switches, it always starts on the second attempt. The first attempt only lasts about 1-2 seconds. It always starts as soon as it turns over on the second attempt. Never just cranks without starting.

I am wondering if it has something to do with that first attempt just surging some oil through the system, so we don't have a dry start. They have to know that these units may go a long time without being run, and the oil has plenty of time to drain back to the oil pan leaving the unit almost oil free. A surge of oil through the system would definitely make it better when it actually starts. Sounds good anyway! Maybe this is just another safety precaution that CC built into the systems. They may have programmed the CC woman to do this to ensure we don't have a dry start on the generator.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Default Two timer Starter

Dale and Jim: I agree with Dale as my Kubota Powered Power Tech Generator start procedure is just like yall have described.

I believe it may well be that cutting edge technology that CC puts in all their coaches.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default My bad

Jim- My bad. Mine is a Power Tech and is a Kubota. I have a 7kw water cooled stand by generator for the house that's a Kohler. Sorry. Check the knurled gold knob if you want.

O.K. Three Country Coaches with the exact same operational procedures on their Power Techs. It must be state of the art precautionary software protecting our investments [ toys. ]

I called Power Tech and talked to their service tech. Actually very helpful. He confirmed I was using the correct oil filter and said it does have a flow back flap to discourage oil drainback. The Kubota engine has a very sensitive ops unit that won't allow the engine to start without full oil pressure. After a period of time the oil filter sitting on its side allows the oil to slowly drain out of the canister. Usually over several months of non use even though the valve is supposed to stop the drain. He said by the time the generator starts on the second try the oil filter is full of oil and full oil pressure is delivered to the engine without damage to the internal parts. It is common on all sideways mount oil filters. So now I am content and I will find something else on the Bus to worry about.

Orren, Very informative web site. Thank you.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim, Thanks for the confirmation. Now we all know the facts.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!