Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Coin tires - which ones?

Default Double Coin tires - which ones?

I see a set of new tires in my immediate future and am needing to be as frugal as possible right now. I checked the date codes on my current tires and it scared me half to death (believe me - you don't even want to know!). I know that some POGers like the Double Coin tires and I've seen you say that they are much less expensive than the Michelin XZA1's. Could one of you Double Coin fans tell me which Double Coin product to consider for my XL45? I'm nervous about switching from the Michelin product, but may be forced to let economics dictate my choice. What say you?

Michael, my Marathon came with 6 Toyo M111's and I've replaced 4 of the 8 in two years. (Ask me about having a blow-out on a Firestone that was on my tag axle-that was special.). They ride well and are priced at about $475 each at Quick Fleet Tire on Bankhead Hwy next to the Petro Truck Stop. They are good folks as well. I think the owners name is Cecil.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS

Bob-05 had very bad luck with Double Coin such that they paid him his money back. If he (or Deb post I am sure they will provide the details).

I have had them on my drives for about 3 years with no issues. They hold air and they ride good.

I have no allegiance to Double Coin or any other brand and will shop tires when I have to do replacements, probably next year. What I think is critical is that the tires have the speed rating and weight rating required and are recommended by the manufacturer for the position (steer, drive, etc.)

Default Tires

I would get quotes on three different tire types and make your decision from that point. I know Michelin prices have come down , I got 365's quoted for about $650.00 a couple of months ago.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Michael, How old are the ones on your bus? I think Harry may hold the record for running the oldest tires, but I do wonder how old others are.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

M.

I have the Toyo's on the Marathon H3, so far very pleased.

Mike

[QUOTE=Jon Wehrenberg;53494]Bob-05 had very bad luck with Double Coin such that they paid him his money back. If he (or Deb post I am sure they will provide the details).
    QUOTE]

Jon is correct, we had a very bad experience with our Double Coin tires. We could never get them balanced, even when using the counterbalance beads-- rough riding and after only 1200 miles, one of them had a side wall separation. The dealer took all 8 tires back and we replaced them with Firestones. Who knows, maybe we just got 8 lemons but so far, great ride on the Firestones, very smooth.

Bob-05 and Debi

Hello Micheal,

Scott Truss, a POGER and friend has just upgraded his Steer tires to 365's has a pair of 2006 315 Michelin's that might well be available, he is in the Jax area ?? I believe give him a shout and see if they are still available, could solve 2 problems Here Scott's email address rstruss@shaw.ca

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldterry View Post
    I see a set of new tires in my immediate future and am needing to be as frugal as possible right now. I checked the date codes on my current tires and it scared me half to death (believe me - you don't even want to know!). I know that some POGers like the Double Coin tires and I've seen you say that they are much less expensive than the Michelin XZA1's. Could one of you Double Coin fans tell me which Double Coin product to consider for my XL45? I'm nervous about switching from the Michelin product, but may be forced to let economics dictate my choice. What say you?
    Michael, I am sending you an email. But I agree with what everybody has said: Verify the Load and Speed rating of 3 - 4 brands, then get the best pricing for each, and go from there.

Gary S.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Michael, How old are the ones on your bus? I think Harry may hold the record for running the oldest tires, but I do wonder how old others are.
    Okay - at the risk of total humiliation and possible banishment from the group, here is the ugly truth. The DOT codes on my tires read: DOT B1D7 BENX 4900. So, if I understand the instructions for reading the code, that means they were manufactured in the 49th week of 2000! I'm riding on tires that are almost 9 years old! Granted - they look fine, hold air with literally no loss, have plenty of tread depth (look almost new) and ride fine. However, I know from previous discussion threads here on POG that dry rot must certainly be a factor by now and this is a catasrophe waiting for the worst possible time to happen!

Getting these tires replaced and procuring a reliable, idiot proof TPMS has jumped to the top of my bus priority list.

Let the shaming begin....