Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Fluid Question

Default Power Steering Fluid Question

Good afternoon all from beautiful East Tennessee.

I use NAPA 9832 Power Steering Fluid in my 1992 Angola XL with 8V92 engine. On the reservoir (whatever it is called) where I check power steering fluid level, with the dipstick, there is a label which reads "USE ONLY Hydraulic P/S Fluid."

Since the bus came with some of the NAPA 9832, that is what I have continued to use for last two years. When I went to NAPA today, and when buying some more of the NAPA 9832, I asked the guy at NAPA if the 9832 was "Hydraulic P/S Fluid." He said "No."

Questions of POG Members:

1. Is the NAPA 9832 a "Hydraulic P/S Fluid"?
    2. Even if it's not "Hydraulic P/S Fluid," is it OK to use?

I am not having any problems with my power steering to my knowledge, other than I have to add some occasionally.

Thank you.

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN
    1992 Angola XL

It is power steering fluid. I don't know why the clerk said otherwise, except it is hard to get good help these days.

Most 8V92 coaches are supplied with Dextron ATF fluid in the PS tank. I actually use 0W30 synthetic engine oil in ours. I think you are OK with the fluid you are currently using if you have had good experience with it. Prevost has recommended a variety of fluids, as the original P/S pumps are no longer available, and the replacement runs at a higher pressure, and can sometimes produce a whine that can be heard in the coach.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Brewer View Post
    It is power steering fluid. I don't know why the clerk said otherwise, except it is hard to get good help these days.
    He said it was not "HYDRAULIC" P/S Fluid. He said it was "P/S Fluid," but not "Hydraulic."

Does that change your thinking, or answer?

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
    I think you are OK with the fluid you are currently using if you have had good experience with it.
    I think I am having good experience with it, even though I have to add some every once in a while. Must have a leak somewhere in the system, but don't know where yet.

Thank you Ken and Steve for help.

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Look First Here!

Eric,

There is a small, less than the size of a dime, o-ring in the side of the bell housing mounted power steering pump. It is retained by a cup with a rolling pin. Mine was leaking about a year ago. Being what I am, older, less flexible, and requiring increased space for manuervering, I had a Charter Coach services company replace it. You should look on the curb side of the engine bay toward the way back. Mine had a visible dark but shiny smear running down that side of the bellhousing. I was thinking rear main seal. Fortunately it was just this little old o-ring. The leak left a pretty good sized puddle of fluid on the garage floor, spotted by my grandson (could the eyes be going too?).

The o-ring is about a 75 cent piece. The shop foreman suggested I buy a second one in case I'm on the road somewhere the next time the seal blows out. Needless to say I have it in my tool box inside a sandwich baggy. The shop foreman also mentioned his experiences with this vintage 8V92TA is the seal has a life expectancy of two to three seasons. I now check my power steering reservior level before every trip and at the beginning of each segment of each trip, just like checking the tire pressures.

If this o-ring is leaking you should be showing low fluid levels on the reservoir dip stick.

Good luck in finding your leak.

Eric,

Use hydraulic fluid. When I rebuilt the steering gearbox underneath the driver's seat in your bus I had a whine in the lines when the wheel was turned. To alleviate the problem I swapped in Hydraulic fluid and the whine was gone. This was a cure that Prevost suggested. I put the label on the fluid container so that you would only use hydraulic fluid. On cold mornings you can still hear the whine for the first couple of minutes.

Loc
    Last edited by Loc; 08-26-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Quote Originally Posted by hobobimmer View Post
    He said it was not "HYDRAULIC" P/S Fluid. He said it was "P/S Fluid," but not "Hydraulic."

Does that change your thinking, or answer?

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN
    No. ATF, or even certain weight motor oil in some cases, may be stated as acceptable. Bluebird did this on the FC models. Sludge formation and seal/flexhose compatibility are issues. Where worm gears are employed can influence the type. There is no definitive meaning for the term hydraulic used without any further specificity.

Eric,

I should add, however, that true 'hydrauiic' fluid used in high pressure systems, i.e. for hydraulic rams and actuation for marine systems, aircraft and so on, is often required to employ fire/flame retardant technology. When very hot hydraulic fluid/oil, particularly petroleum based, leaks and hits atmosphere, there is the potential if not the likelihood of fire. Mil spec(s) can be quoted for these issues.

Thanks, everyone, for responses. I am still confused, though. I have to leave for trip in about 30 minutes, so when return I'll try to get back to this thread and get specific on what I can use.

Wonder whether will have to drain system if the NAPA 9832 is NOT OK to use, and have to switch to something titled "HYDRAULIC."

Again, thank you all for responses.

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN