Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firestone Tires

Tuga......3.5 years ago? Just guessing. If it is important i will give an exact date and miles.

Jon,

I was just curious; it looks like you made a good deal. Inexpensive tires and they pass the test of time.

I don't know anything about tires, but I would guess that they are all about the same. If the ply rating H, L, or whatever is the same my guess is that the tires are the same quality. Rubber is rubber and steel belts are steel belts. It's kind of like gasoline or diesel; one brand is the same as the other. I really don't think that the car knows the difference.

Comparing apples to apples I think the least expensive tire is the best deal.

I know I am going to get some flack on this, but I really believe it to be true.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I cannot make a blanket statment about tires because my experience is limited to my own experiences only and then only on my two buses.

It would be nice if some magazine would do a tire test and publish the results for our size tires, reducing the data into cost per mile or year.

lonesome george Guest

Default My two coins worth.

I use Michelin tires on every vehicle that I care even a little bit about.
    On our pick-up we get over 100k on a set and it runs loaded or pulling a trailer most of the time.
    We put steer axle tires on the bus this summer and the price difference between Michelin and the other guys was about $500.00 for the pair, I'll pay it.
    My experience with Michelin is, round to start, round thru time and miles, take very little weight to balance and stay in balance.
    I put a set of *&^%*(% on a 7 series BMW one time and made a sows ear out of a silk purse, the tire dealer said the balance problem was from the wheels, BBS makes a pretty good wheel, after adjusting half the set with new tires we gave up and went to the Michelin store and got the thing straightened out.
    Prevost put Michelin on the chassis in the first place that tells me something.
    I use Michelin for performance, the same reason I purchased a Prevost.

Default Speed Rating

Michael, what is the maximum speed rating on the Firestone tires? I tried to find it on Firestone's web site but wasn't successful.

Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Thanks for the comments

To all that replied, thanks. I'm going with the Michelins for the steers. I'm deferring the decision on the drives for another 18 months.

Will,

me tink tenseseee boyz hab waay tooo cheep tirz n shud spendd mo yen!

Quote Originally Posted by HarborBus View Post
    Michael, what is the maximum speed rating on the Firestone tires? I tried to find it on Firestone's web site but wasn't successful.
    Eliott - the Firestones that I bought are rated to 75 mph. (18 ply, Load Rating J) - the 20 ply, Load Rating L tires are only rated to 55 mph!

Here's a link to the FS400 tire specs: https://www.bfentirenet.com/product_...4&partial=true

Default Firestones

I put FS400s on last year, what a difference it made in handling and ride, albeit the Michelins were worn (timed) out.

The ride fine and run fine, I don't account for mileage, as I still have to fill it up when its empty, so that is wasted processor time to me.

Save your cash for something that really matters (tools/toys/steaks/guns/jeeps)