Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Woods camping Fun

Default Back Woods camping Fun

We thought it might be fun to try a different approach this summer, so we purchased a Dynamax 37 Grand Sport on a Columbia Freightliner chassis with a 450 Mercedes and a 4000 series Allison transmission, a couple of slides rugged enough to head out to the out of the way places we like to explore, hiking biking and Kayaking, enough clearance to get in and out of State, National and Provincial Parks, hydraulic Jacks plenty of propane, 2 big furnaces, 2 large airs, 3000 watt inverter, 4 house Batteries and lots beer stored in 2 refrigerators. We want to see if we can maneuver in and out of tight locations with a little more ease than the past 2 summers. There are real trade offs out of the box, having some difficulty getting used to the engine up front, extra noise, extra airbags would be nice, but the ability to maneuver, the extra tight ride and road handling, outrageous power from the 450 HP Mercedes seems to make up for the other so far, we do miss the the bus some times. Will see how the season shapes up, heading to Canada via Mackinaw around to Georgian Bay, will keep you abreast of the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bruce,
    Looks like fun, but what are you going to do with all the extra time now that you don't have any Stainless to polish?
    Enjoy the new toy,
    Kevin

Good looking ride Bruce.
    What does it weigh in travel trim for you two?

Real nice Bruce, watch out for the back woods bears

JIM

Hi Bruce,

Nice ride! I think Ben was considering something like that at one time but it had 4 wheel drive.

My cousin bought a Chariot 45' w/2 slides, and he loves it. He pulls a huge trailer (don't know how much) and that is the primary reason that he bought it. I believe it is rated to pull 40,000# or something ridiculous like that.

How is it on the comfort side? Is there good quality with fit and finish on the inside? How much water does it hold?

One thing I have always wondered about is the noise factor in the cab while at 70 mph! How quiet is it? How is the ride?

It sure is pretty!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Bruce,

Let's show it off at OKC.

mm

Bruce,

Tell us about that spring suspension and rough roads?

Thats what Pam said as well. My right arm and shoulder are still recovering from polishing 533. I may still do some though can't stay away from stainless, thinking that a couple of stainless exhaust stakes would look nice up front next to the front doors??

Quote Originally Posted by GDeen View Post
    Good looking ride Bruce.
    What does it weigh in travel trim for you two?
    It weighs in at 37,000 lbs without fuel, water and stuff, guess is (will check on a scale) with 140 Gal fuel, 100 water and stuff around 40,000 LBS range about 12,000 less than the Bus is my guess.

That is one nice looking machine, Bruce. Smart move, since 0533 is still pictured on the Royal Canadian Mounted Police ten most wanted list. You can hide that baby way back in the sticks for months at a time. You guys have fun up there.
    Where is 0533 these days??