Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: FRONT AIRBAGS

Default front air bags

Jon,

Thanks for the great explanation. Let me first say that patience is NOT one of my spiritual gifts. This is an ongoing struggle.

My conversation with Luis included moisture from the aux air system. My small aux air compressor has no dryer, probably like most of our coaches. He taught / showed me where to drain this system. Most likely when I tried to raise my bus' front end, I did not notice any change because the air way was mostly blocked, and I did not hold the UP switch long enough.

BTW we can camp without the aux air compressor on, because of manual pocket doors, electric toilet, etc. The only time I run it is before starting the engine to bring up the small air bag on the belts. And I have never drained it since we owned the bus (4 years next month). But I will now!!

Ken

Just to expand a little on Jon's point, while I had the 2000 CC, there was a button in the front bay for purging the aux air compressor tank of water. The CC has it's own aux air tank and almost every time I purged (often) there was moisture coming out. The aux compressor will for sure put moisture in your aux tank.

For most of us, our aux compressor feeds directly to the aux tank and the only place to drain moisture is the tank itself and the filter in the steering bay. Some of them look like this with a drain on the bottom:

IMG_1779_1.JPG

One caution regarding that Norgren filter in the steering bay. If you open the valve at the bottom to drain it, there is a very good risk of creating an air leak at the valve. The drain valve is kind of crappy and I've had aux air leaks there that simply refused to be corrected.

I have since replaced the whole lower assembly and now, when I drain this filter, I simply remove this lower section to empty it rather than touch the drain valve. I just wipe the inside with a paper towel. The down side is that you can't do this under air pressure.

If you have an assembly with a leaking valve, it looks like the old valve could be removed, the body tapped with 1/4" pipe thread, and a new brass valve installed, but I haven't tried it.