Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FRONT AIRBAGS

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    As a courtesy he should be alerted, and rather than blind him with a question, would he want to bring the topic up himself?

He really got into it with Joe so this may get a little touchy, but our coaches have a leveling system and it is being compromised if the bags now being supplied for certain models (and maybe all) will not go beyond road height.

I think it is a good idea to address this.
    I know I am wacking a hornets' nest with a stick to see what happens, but; how/why did he 'get into it' with anybody if Prevost is/was wrong in providing the wront bags to customers? Who else is supposed to have the proper information? Why is the customer/owner being saddled with the task of finding out what the hell to order? Was the response that the owner should have gotten the number off the bag(s) to be replaced? That won't fly either.

Sorry.

Just a quick question; do we know if this problem is confined to a specific range of XL shells?

Have any of the IFS chassis had a similar problem in finding replacement air bags?

Ken, If you think you are going to be criticized for thinking like that you are wrong. Your thoughts and comments are exactly right.

We discussed this briefly at Roger's house with the other POG folks that were there today. It started about six months ago when Joe changed the front air bags on Eric and Deb's coach. It would not rise to the previous level and through a considerable effort he or they were able to get Prevost to ship bags that would restore their ability to travel the full range in height.

It was later learned bags ordered and installed on other coaches had the same problem with limited height, and then since a pattern was now established Joe pursued this with Prevost, eventualy working up the ladder to Bill Jensen. According to Joe his representation that Prevost was shipping the incorrect air bags was met with the comment that the ones shipped and received were what the bill of material called for and therefore they were right.

Through some effort on Joe's part he found the 630126 bags (that work) were superceded by 630260 (which do not work because of limited vertical travel), but that 630259 do work as replacements.

They have other issues, such as now having to rework the mounting plate hole on some early coaches. As things exist now an uninformed owner who gets air bags changed or orders new ones is going to lose some of the capability his coach was designed to have.

I brought this up to keep it alive. Joe and I spent a considerable amount of time discussing this issue and pursuing it. Truk (who is the Prevost contact person for the OKC rally) is going to let Bill know we intend to discuss this, because we are sure some owners have air bags now installed on their bus that do not have the vertical travel their suspension system leveling feature was designed to have.

You can be assured we are not shy about raising issues like this and if you wish to join in we welcome your comments.

I would like to know what converters do to handle this because if they do a full PDI on a coach and determine it should have new air bags they may have the same grief.

Paul,

We do not know, but we do know it is an XL solid axle issue. It may affect other shells, but until someone can tell us they had air bags replaced and now the height has been compromised we will no know.

At OKC why don't you see if all IFS coaches can demonstrate the max height they can go in the front and see if any had recent air bag replacements?

Lightbulb A Spreadsheet

Any one else having problems with the quick reply button?
    Anyway, Jon, is it possiblle to develop a spread sheet indicating the correct replacement air bag # for the XL's in question or are there too many different air bag types. Also, are al of these Goodyear Airbags?
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Is it possible that Prevost has seen such a steep decline in the sale of Motorhome shells that the "new guys" up there aren't concerned a bit about parts being unavailable for older motorhome shells? We may well be at the end of the line of Prevost conversions in significant numbers. You think the powers that be, at Prevost, have had an eye on their motorhome shell sales. Do any of us really expect to ever see the number of convertors in business that were around ten years ago. I'm just saying, when Bill Jensen starts dancing around an easy question, he's hearing music playing somewhere. When it comes to parts that are specific to our motorhome shells, we all need to be active in the aftermarket arena and be willing to share that information like we do everything else.

Jon,
    I think another fun Question to ask Bill would be how engineering would allow the shocks to be the limiting travel in the overinflate position. Pulling out rubber bushings and even possible damage to the shocks from the air bags trying to go up past the length of the shock!

These are all good points and since Truk is talking to Bill about the rally and his role in it I am sure he will pass this along.

We can ask the hard questions without feeling bad because we will not be sandbagging Bill. He is being given a heads up and as such will have plenty of time to prepare or get answers.

BTW, I think the airbag issue is a serious and widespread one and should be given the attention it desreves, but that does not mean that other issues cannot be brought up. If there is an issue related to the chassis, or with Prevost that anyone feels is in need of an answer or attention I suggest it be listed here and Truk can pass it along to Bill.

In defense of Prevost I urge that we keep the questions to those of general interest, and that we post them here so Bill can be prepared.

Question

Tom, I would like an explanation by Bill Jenson of the workings/the way it works, of the two speed fan and clutch assembly.
    There are magnets, sensors, heat, sinks,and the mechanical shaft and bearings.
    How do they inter relate and what controls them?

JIM

My Bus is at the point where I am considering new air bags. I am willing to spend the money but until this issue is resolved Prevost won't receive any of my hard earned cash. In a market where new Bus sales are down I think it is prudent to take care of service related parts and labor. Our Sponsors are trying hard for their share of our business and I think Prevost should also. Just my humble opinion.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty