Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: stacker trailer

I bought an ATC and it comes with one.

Thumbs up

Good luck with the ATC trailer, very fine, very pricey.

My favorite brand.

JIM

Hello All,

Trailer towing is something I have a lot of experience with, having been a racer for 15 years with 30,000 miles a year towing, and usually heavy trailers. I have towed overweight trailers, undertired trailers, etc. When I got my Prevost I had to sell my Renegade and trailer because the Renegade stacker is 17000 empty.

There simply were not any trailers on the market I was happy with. Almost all of them cut a lot of corners and almost without exception they are very, very heavy. I needed to tow two stock cars, plus spares, plus tools and a 4 wheeler ATV, and I needed it all to be under 14,000 lbs total. The trailer neededa stacker in it, and needed work space, and needed to haul cars and spares, and not be hard to tow.

I am glad to report I designed and built a trailer myself (I have done this before). It is 24 long, meets all my requirements, is totally aluminum, no wood or steel anywhere except for the axles and internal stacker lift, and weighs 4500 emply, with the lift inside. Lots of storage all in the floor with belly pans, electric doors and winches, and about 1/2 the cost of a new trailer that I wouldn't by anyway!

Weight is the killer so my advice is to go light. My first Renegade busted the tongue off and flipped over on the side of the road due to an inferior frame (yes it was NOT overloaded!) and of course with a heavy trailer all sorts of issues come into play.

I'd be glad to share any data on my current trailer, or even build another if anyone is so inclined...

It took about 2.5 months, and I have towed it at full capacity about 4000 miles so far.... it's working very well!

Bob,

As you are undoubtedly very much aware a welded aluminum trailer requires a lot of skills to construct. Aluminum welds are highly susceptible to cracking if not done properly. To add to that, vibrations at the right frequency can disassemble anything. As a racer I am sure your deal with that all the time.

I would suggest a very careful inspection of all welds for a while until you are confident the range of frequencies and potential fatigue at the welds is a non issue. We used to build products for shipping engines and they had to undergo the full range of impact and frequency testing. During one of the days we were to undergo testing we watched a Chrysler team of engineers witness their shipping rack for body panels disassemble itself within a minute of the start of their freequency test. It started by peeling the panels off like cards from a deck, and before the test could be stopped the entire weldment started to fail at the joints. (Our engine stand withstood all testing because it was light enough to flex, unlike the Chrysler rack)

Ever since I have been very alert to inspecting my coach for weld failures, especially around the engine cradle and hitch. I would be especially vigilant with an aluminum trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by fixrim View Post
    I am glad to report I designed and built a trailer myself (I have done this before). It is 24 long, meets all my requirements, is totally aluminum, no wood or steel anywhere except for the axles and internal stacker lift, and weighs 4500 emply, with the lift inside. Lots of storage all in the floor with belly pans, electric doors and winches, and about 1/2 the cost of a new trailer that I wouldn't by anyway!
    Bob - post some pictures so that we can admire your creation!

Question,.........has anyone had a problem pulling a 24' stacker? I just found out that in Alabama the max length you can have is 57'. And if you get caught they make you drop the treailer. Has this been a problem for anyone or am i just paronoid?

I am always over length,whether pulling a truck or trailer,I think that California is the real enforcer on length.

I found two sites on the internet which had towing length laws

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
    and
    http://www.freetrip.com/rules_fr1.html

Both of them indicated 65 foot is the restriction in Alabama. 65 foot was common in most states. As stated above, CA is definitely cracking down on over-length vehicles, especially on I-10 entering at Blythe.

You certainly run the risk in many states of being illegal. Whether you are stopped or not I can't say.

Default stacker trailer

I'm thinking about buying a 24' stacker but after exploring max length to be legal i'm finding unless you have a permit in many states you could find yourself having to drop the trailer if you're pulled over. Has this ever happened to anyone here? I've seen many 24' trailers being pulled by 45' coaches. Are they just the lucky ones that haven't been caught? I live in Alabama and was told by DOT that max here is 57'. Iowa is 65'.
    Are you suppose to get permits in each state?

Dwight.
    I use this link for a referance. It was issued in 2007 and some of the data may not be up to date.
    I pull a 24' stacker and that puts me at a little over 74' combined length. I have not had a chance to test the California State Troopers yet, but I think if you are just passing through and not causing any safety concerns, they might just ignore it. Also I can't imagine they would make you un-hook on the road side.
    I HOPE.....

http://www.woodalls.com/articledetai...icleID=1195129