Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stacker trailer

Default stacker trailer

I am thinking about a stacker trailer again,even though I sold one 2 years ago.The one I had was a 1998 Champion Trailer and it weighed 10,200 LBS empty,I did not like the way it towed and I generally just disliked it.I need info to help me decide if I really want to do this.
    1 Do airbag trailers tow better than torsional axles?
    2 Is a V nose better or sort of awkward?
    3 Is a 30 footer too long?
    4 My coach is about 12'6" will a 13'2" trailer be too tall from a visual point of view?
    5 The aluminum trailers like ATC Trailers are lighter but are they as durable?
    6 Are there any configurations that I should stay away from? Any info will be appreciated.Thanks in advance

Jack, I would NOT do it again! Mine weight in at about 13,000lb empty. If you have 20 ' of space you find 22' of stuff to bring. I have found my 4 door pickup with an 8' bed has worked out great. I put on a shell and have plenty of room for lots of stuff and a great car when we get to our destination, OH and it's way easy!

We are on our fourth trailer. First was flatbed for small car or four motorcycles. Second was a 18' box with the same space for the car or bikes, but kept them away from prying eyes. Third was a custom built Featherlite, the box was 18' plus a v-nose. I used the v-nose to build a top and bottom storage cabinet set up which had a large triangle shaped work bench. The inside height was 6'2''. We had room inside for four full dresser motorcycles, or a corvette or an escalade. In 2005, we ordered a new custom Featherlite. This time we made the total height 10'. This way we have a small storage attic. We also went to a box length of 23' and still have the v-nose. Same cabinets and work bench. Now, we can load the escalade and have room in the front for either a motorcycle or a full size golf cart sideways. We went with the triple axle just for looks and I am glad we did. It really looks cool. Our empty weight is 6200 pounds. Gross weight is about 15,000. I have a couple of friends who have stackers, but I will probably never be an owner myself. Just seems like too much stuff to carry. As it is, we can carry the above load or just four or five bikes and not feel like we have a half empty trailer. It;s still small enough to tow with our F250 and I like the look of the trailer being a little less in height than the bus. I'll always have a v-nose enclosed trailer...it just suits us best.

Jack, If you get a trailer higher than your bus wouldn't the wind be a factor? I'm just wondering & would like to hear the responses. Thanks

Petervs Guest

Less is more.

If you live in Florida and mostly travel flat highways towing a big heavy trailer might be doable. In the west you come to mountains every hundred miles or so and going up the hills at 42 mph or less sucks.

Do you really need to take all that stuff with you?

Have you forgotten what you learned the first time? Even if you find a lighter weight trailer, by the time you fill it your total weight difference will not be a very large percentage of the total gross weight. Performance will suffer regardless.

donniev Guest

Default Stackers

I as well as many have pulled Stacker trailers all over. They are a Problem when it comes to RV Resorts but quite honestly the end results of taking what you want with you outweigh the aerodynamics or weight, as long as your within your limits! weight wise, You can never be to safe!!

Default Stacker Trailer

Jack, I have a Featherlite stacker that needs a new home. It has a 20' box with a V nose, small frt lift for a couple of bikes or a golf cart. Triple axle towes like a dream, weighs less than 6000 lbs empty. I'm in Columbia so if you want to try it out on a trip just let me know. I'm in the west right now should be home by the 29th lets talk, Bill
    2005 Parliament XL-II SS
    2007 Avalanche

Thanks Bill,I need more space than 20 feet.I do think that the V nose makes a lot of sense,you get several square feet for very little money.The trailer hitch is rated for 20,000 LBS but I can't find a receiver rated for more than 15,000 Lbs.help me Jim.

Lightbulb

Hi Jack, I think you were reffering to me? Right now I don't have an answer for you. I had assumed that the receiver was part of the Prevost hitch. Wouldn't that make sense? Since they're concerned about the liability issues, I would think they would want to take charge of the whole thing.

You might call Liberty or Prevost on that item, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first!

JIM

Yep I was calling you Jim,the hitch is rated for 20k but I can only find a 14k receiver,balls are easy to find over 20k.I like to make sure that I am never out of bounds but this one is hard to overcome,I think that I will call Liberty.