Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Surge Protectors

Thanks for all the information. Now I know that it's working the right way.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Picking up where I left off many post back on the onboard Leviton surge protector and the in line Progressive unit; I put a Levitron that appears to be new but I got it on Ebay. I instlaled it with exact wiring the way the old one was plumbed in. Now however, both green lights for Line 1 and Line 2 illuminate wheather it's on shore power or generator power. The old one (when working correctly or so I thought) illuminated Line 1 for gen and Line 2 for shore. Not both for either. Now I don't know wheather the old one was correct or if this one is correct and the manual for the Leviton is ambigous. But I know that was one of several probelms and was advised by Gary and others to change that before proceeding.

The inverter is still now working. I spoke with an RV tech I'm seeing Thursday or Friday that informs me of something that was not brought out here which I find odd due to the brain trust here. He said the Trace inverters have an internal transfer switch besides our stand alone automatic transfer switch that could be failing. Anyone ever heard of that ? He says he knows a way to do musical chairs with the wiring to the inverter (through the front access panel) in order to check the internal transfer switch that I've not heard of yet.

Comments appreciated.

I'm fairly certain that I have an inverter issue.

Post Invertors & Leviton.

Hi Jeff. Try calling Tech support for leviton. If you got the wiring correct, the line 2 light should not be on. It's indicating with green light that the voltage is ok.

Jon W. had a post regarding inverters and his inverters regarding by-passing the inverters manually if the inverter failed. As I understand it, there are capabilities on some inverters to transfer the load to the shore or generator if the invertor fails.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Some converters have an automatic by-pass in the event of an inverter failure, others have no bypass capability.

If an inverter fails due to the failed internal transfer switch, connect the inverter input power to the inverter power output leads and then you can get shore or generator power to the devices that go through the inverter such as the refrigerator, TVs or outlets.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Progressive Surge Protector

Thanks Jon- I think I'll wait and let the RV Electrician make that bypass and find out what's what instead of having to let the smoke out.

I forgot to add something yesterday. My Progressive Surge Protector; it's showing 122 volts on Line 1 and 15 volts on Line 2. When I check the extension cord (at the same point where the Progressive unit was plugged in), I read 115 to 122 volts on both legs. Progressive unit defective already after such little use ? Members commented that they are good about replacing them. Suppose I should send it in.

Jeff, before you send it in, call Progressive and tell them what you are seeing? They may have some pointers for you to check, before you send it back?

Did you plug your Progressive into another 50amp source to see what the readings are on that line? Verify it is not the incoming source first.

Gary S.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Gary-

I phoned Progressive yesterday and did some testing. They determined the unit was bad and (get this), they sent me out a new one with a return label for the old one all without even confirming that I had ever purchased a new one. I told them that the word on this site was that they gave excellent service just like they were giving me. Another good testimonial here.

Thumbs up Progressive Industries

Jeff, glad it worked out so well for you.

Progressive, your response to Jeffs needs, is truly the sign of a Great Company.

Keep up the good work.

Gary S.

Heres a question for C.C. owners. Its my understanding that C.C. installed coach mounted surge protectors in our buses. I believe there is one installed on my 02. I'm I correct in my assumption? Thanks for any replies.

Patrick,

Some came with them and some didn't. I think Roger's 03 has one, so maybe they started installing them at some year after 99. My 99 does
    not have one installed. I use a portable one.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!