Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Woes

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Windshield Woes

Just spoke with a new neighbor here in the campground. He is driving a "coach" like, truck frame based motorhome. Yes it has a bus like tag axle.

Now for the windshield woes. Seems this is the second time when his coach has been negotiating uneven terrain that the full width windshield has cracked with a loud bang. That's bad enough. The cost, installed, for a replacement windshield is $3,000. He was speaking with another neighbor when I exited my coach. The other neighbor was pointing out my split windshields. I joined in with the comment the two sides are identical and Prevost had just run a special at $150 each in lots of ten. The neighbor stated he even understood the windshields could be replaced by an owner. Yes they can.

He is not happy with his plastic palace right now. Too much flex in the body work!

Will,

A neighbor of ours in Port St. Lucie has had too many windshields to count installed in his plastic coach. Huge, panoramic view thru the one-piece windshield.

However, there is apparently little to no structural value to the front cap, as it depends on the windshield to maintain it's shape. The recommendation from the manufacturer was to "cut a nice piece of 2x4 to fit between the top of the cap and the frame and tap it into place for added strength.."

Every time he levels his coach, he runs the risk of twisting the front cap out of shape and stressing the corners of the glass. Same thing on a rough road.

Nice engineering, huh?

Petervs Guest

Actually the Prevost windshield special was $79 each on lots of 10!

Default $79 is a great price

I have a question on the windshields.

Did Prevost use the same size windshield for all XL buses from say 1990 to 2000?

Also, are those little windshields at the top of some older (92, 93, 94, etc.) made of glass?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Petervs Guest

Hi Tuga,

Yes. The original XL was from about 1980 or so, and it was 96 inches wide. Both windshields and all the side windows were identical, except some had different tint.

Then, in 1984 I think the legal width became 102 inches, so the front windshields became a little wider.

Same with the smaller top windshields, they are also glass. They collect a lot of bugs. It is easy to scrub the glass clean, no paint to worry about.

I just replaced my tops, they had collected a rock chip and eventually cracked across.

So what's up with you guys, don't you think you should admit you have MPD and find the cure?

dalej Guest

Yea Tuga,

I was told you and Karen were out of the RV/Bus mode.

WHAT'S GOING ON DOWN THERE IN LA.?

Peter,

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't aware of the actual dates of change from 96 to 102.

We're not up to much, just getting ready to attend the Labor Day Fat Beagle Bash 09 in Kerrville with the Loc man and his band of regulars. This year will be special because I'll have a fellow Newellie in attendance (Reagan is his name). And he plays golf!

Dale,

We have the Newell for sale and thought we had a deal done, but the financing fell thru. Then, a week later another guy from your part of the country (Beatrice, NE) contacts me while I'm at the Newell factory having the Aqua Hot tank replaced with a new one. He comes down with his wife, and they love the coach. They like the slides, the colors, the rear bath + half bath, etc. Then, as they are leaving he says, I'll let you know what we decide. He calls back 2 weeks later and says they want to wait until the economy gets better.

Next, my TracStar antenna dome scraped on a tree branch and damaged the dish. I sent it off to TracStar today. They said it should be easy to fix, so I am waiting for that to be resolved. That's about all that is happening down here with us. And so far NO HURRICANES!!!!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga, It sure is good to see you posting again !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by JIM KELLER View Post
    Tuga, It sure is good to see you posting again !
    Thanks Jim, nice of you to say. We think of you two often. We need to do another mini rally; Titusville was fun (except for my blown air bag).
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga, I miss you man!

tuga_5699.jpg

mm