Thread: Fuel additives

ken&ellen Guest

Exclamation Fuel additives

Since I am busy changing fuel filters on my gen set and Webasto I guess fuel is on my mind. Since all the diesel here in VA is reduced sulfur should I be using an additive? If so which one? I was in NAPA today and they have every conceivable brand as well as formulas. Suggestions or recommendations. Ken

This response if offered without the complexity of actually having knowledge about the subject.

If you run frequently and are keeping the fuel fresh I would not be concerned about additives. If you sit for extended periods, especially in hot weather, I would be concerned about the growth of algae, but beyond additives to stabilize the fuel due to inactivity I would not feel the need to add anything.

What does DD suggest?

Orren Zook Guest

As long as you buy your fuel at a reputable truck stop you shouldn't need any kind of additive during the warmer months, in extremely cold conditons an anti-gel might be needed, but only if the coach was to set outside for an (not running) extended period of time in sub zero weather. I also try not to fuel when a tanker is unloading to underground tanks as that will stir up any water/condensation that has settled to the bottom of the tank.