Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: combo vs. stacker

Default combo vs. stacker

I am interest on everyones comments on your experence with w/ds. Have you found combos really useful or more of a use it once in a while in a pinch type appliance? I've seen alot of nice 40 footers for sale but none with stackers. So a 45 may be the way to go if stackers end up on the must have list. We plan on using the coach 3 to 4 months each year. Thanks for your input. Rick

We have a 40' (although Jon thinks it is a 41') and it is fitted with a combo washer/dryer. We like it for our use but do use the RV resort wash facility for the big loads. Barb's delicates always seem to get done in the coach but my stuff goes to the clubhouse.

We'll need to have a gentlman's bet on the length of your bus Chuck.

We had a combo in our first bus and have Kenmore stackers currently. From my wife's point of view it is no contest. She will never again have a combo. It took too long to dry clothes, the loads were too small, and she could not be washing a load while drying a load. From my perspective the combo was a maintenance disaster. The motor had to be replaced the cycle timer had to be replaced and generally speaking I had to fix things on it a lot compared to how often it got used. The stack type thus far has been bullet proof.

We have a stacker washer/dryer now. In the past we had a combo. The difference is like night and day. We do all our laundry on the bus in the stacker and have never had to use the campground laundry. We have been on the road for 4 months and having the stacker w/d has made doing laundry a LOT easier.

I agree with both Jon and Andre's comments. We have a Splendide combo w/d in Evangeline and I'd like nothing more than to replace it with a stacked w/d! The current combo unit would make an excellent boat anchor! I'm actually considering just removing the combo unit and converting the space to storage until I can afford to replace it.

Thanks for your comments. You confimed what I was all ready thinking. Have any of you done laundry while traveling down the road? I presume the generator will need to be running.

I heard a combo dryer unit described as a de-humidifier, which accurately defines the function of one in a rental unit we once used...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by treedoc View Post
    Thanks for your comments. You confirmed what I was all ready thinking. Have any of you done laundry while traveling down the road? I presume the generator will need to be running.
    We have separate washer and dryer and like it that way.

You could certainly run along and do laundry but remember it uses a great deal of WATER and HOLDING TANK SPACE. The laundry is best done at a full hook up campsite.

Whichever of you that does the laundry should be the one that chooses what you have for the facility.

It is important to think about the kind of camping you will be doing, boondocking, full hook up and everything in between.

If you have your own site where you stay for months on end or if you are always driving and water is at a premium.

Even though you can do your own laundry it is often better to save it up and use many machines at a laundry to get the job done in the same time it takes for one load in the bus.

JIM

We have done laundry while on the road and yes we ran the generator.

Doing laundry while driving seems counter-intuitive but if you are going from campground to campground it really doesn't matter if you use a lot of water because you will be refilling that evening. It is a good use of time to do laundry while driving instead of using time when you could be out and about.

Contrary to what Jim says my wife avoids using public laundry machines because she is unsure what has been in them before she uses them.

We also have a stacker, and like to do laundry while on the road.
    Doing that way also cleans your gray water tank at the same time,

Alek