Thread: Navigating in unknown areas

Exclamation Navigating in unknown areas

I just got back from a business trip to the east coast (Boston). Originally, before the air conditioning crisis, my neighbor was going to drive my bus from CA to New Jersey, where I would pick it up, and take two weeks traveling home.

Because this trip didn't happen (bus didn't get fixed in time), I took a few days and drove around the NY, NJ, CT area. I brought my portable Garmin GPS, and everything was fine. EXCEPT, I kept thinking, I'm sure glad I'm not driving the bus!

It seemed on every road that the GPS directed me on there were signs of "passenger cars only", or very low bridges (too low for a Prevost with satellite dish).

I know I've asked before, and it was suggested that follow the guidelines as suggested in the Motor Carries Atlas. In particular this Atlas says to stay off of the Palisades Parkway, however I've been told it's OK for RV's/busses. SO, how would one know that? I haven't found any references to indicate OK for RV, but not OK for commercial vehicles.

Do those of you on the east coast constantly pre-plan your trips, or is it you just "know" after awhile what to avoid? Out here in CA, we don't have any low bridges (that I'm aware of), and generally we hop on the freeways and go.

My feeling after driving around back east was that I'd have to very carefully plan any trip in advance before driving anywhere. Toll booths are something that we're not very experienced with out here either (although there are some new toll roads, privately built)

Anyway, I'm curious now about trip planning when driving to destinations which are not familiar. I guess the trip from CA to Santa Fe coming up is probably safe, but I assume I need to be checking roads, clearances etc.

How does everyone here plan travel?

Thanks in advance,
    Ray

HI Ray,

We have a Garmin as well, love it. Our current coach didn't come with one in the dash, Our other 2 busses did, so we opted for the portable and take in many of our vehicles, the 'H" included..
    Ours has a category for "Busses" so it sends us out of harms way most of the time. We have heard NeW England is challenging when it comes to big rigs, including campgrounds.

Which Garmin do you have? Where is the bus category setup?

HMM, nevermind. I just found the setup for vehicle type! Manual doesn't say anything as to what that will do (i.e. in bus mode), but hopefully it will make some difference?
    Last edited by Ray Davis; 08-10-2006 at 01:09 AM.

Ben Guest

Ray,

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350 and have had it set to bus mode. I never noticed a difference until I got to an on ramp that was for busses only... it included that on ramp on my route. It doesn't seem to be smart about heights or how skinny streets are. It has told me to turn down streets that my bus could never make it down (one lane alley too skinny for bus). So, you just have to watch out before you turn in odd locations.

I love the Garmin overall... I bring it with me on the bus and when I fly and have a rental car.

I keep a motor carriers road atlas, which has a list of height restricted roads. I don't know if it lists every single road that would have a low bridge (since I doubt it lists them for tiny town that have roads that truckers would never drive through). But you can check for whichever state you are entering to see if it has any height restrictions listed. You can find these road altas' at just about any truck stop. I bought the version that has laminated pages, so I can write on them with a dry erase marker to plan out a route and just wipe it clean later.

I was wondering what the bus mode would do. My guess is that it more affects calculated speed enroute, more than anything else. I'm guessing that busses on average travel more slowly than cars, except perhaps on interstates etc.

But, I too love my Garmin. It's easy to carry around, and it generally gets me exactly where I need to go.

My primary confusion at this point is conflicting information between the motor carriers atlas, and other sources. As mentioned before, I think it's the Palisades Parkway in NY (I'm trying to remember here, I don't have my Atlas handy). I believe that road is marked off limits to commercial carriers, however, I've been told it's fine for busses/rv's all the way up. So, which is true. Is there a location/source for information that is specfically for busses/rv's rather than commerical vehicles. Obviously I could always play it safe, and never go on a road which is listed as restricted in the motor carriers Atlas.

A case in point. My son is out at West Point in NY. The easiest way I know to get there is up the Palisades Parkway. I've definately never seen a truck on that road, but would it be safe for the bus? I'd have to check the bridge clearances.

I too got the laminated version of the Atlas, but I didn't think about drawing with dry erase marker. That's a great idea!

Thanks for info!

Ray