Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Necessary Stuff

I have the pressure pro system and it has worked for 2 1/2 years without a glitch,I do have the repeater receiver which I think helps on the 45 foot coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    I have the pressure pro system and it has worked for 2 1/2 years without a glitch,I do have the repeater receiver which I think helps on the 45 foot coaches.
    Thanks for the tip on the repeater, Jack! I was thinking of saving a Lewbuck or two by trying to go without it, but you've changed my mind on that!

Michael,

I'm curious why you have ruled out the internal systems? The obvious issue with the internal system is that it costs a bit more. However, personally I think the advantages outweigh the dis-advantages.

The Smartire system monitors accurately both pressure and temperature. There is some interesting reading on their website regarding heat and equalization temperature that tires should reach when driven.

Once mounted, the monitors are done. You don't worry about sensors being stolen, being too heavy for the valve stems and actually causing failure (although alerting you at the same time), or clogging up due to use of equal or other type of balancer.

The Smartire system is highly programmable, so you can set things like the base pressure for each axle, the alarm limits (when should the alarm go off), low pressure limits etc.

The Smartire system also makes a guage that is designed to mount in your dash, which makes it look better than the big plastic monitors, which I've generally seen hooked up via velcro.

I'm really happy with my system. Now that it's installed, I don't worry about it, other than to check my pressures before driving off. I also have it setup that if my toad is with me, the system will also monitor the toad tires. I did use a 3 antenna setup, which catches all monitors, up to probably 30 feet behind the bus!

Anyway, I'm delighted with my system. I am sure the other systems work fine, but personally, I didn't want to have an external sensor. Main reasons were that the smaller ones which put less load on the valve stem couldn't be filled without removing. And the ones that were fillable through the sensor, were quite large and a bit heavy. Obviously you can support them through grommets and stuff, but I personally worry about valve stem breakage. We've had that happen to several parties on this forum. I also removed the extended stems from my inner dualies. Maybe overkill, but that was my concern.

Ray

PS: One reason that I did install the monitor on this bus was due to an experience of me driving to POG2 in Santa Fe. Caravaning with a group of buses from CA, we stopped the night before while enroute. As part of my pre-trip inspection, I used a tire guage to check every tire. Everything was perfect.

I happened to check the tires at Santa Fe when we arrived about 3 hours later (not a long drive that day). One of my inner tires was down to about 70 pounds! Just the process of checking the tire pressure probably got some equal or something in the valve, and actually caused a leak. I filled it on the site, and it never leaked again, but that could have been devastating if I drove much further.

Ray

I had the Smart Tire on a plastic CC and it was a great system, but......
    I had an inside tire battery go bad and that of course requires you pull both tires and breakdown the offending tire to replace the battery. The battery was 2 yrs old and it turned out to be a pretty expensive fix while on the road.

Not bashing Smart Tire, just providing information..

I now have the Pressure Pro that Brian put on they work very well.

That is certainly an important point. They say their current batteries are supposed to last about 7 years. I plan on changing tires prior to that, so fingers crossed.

Ray,who installed Smart tire on your bus?

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    I had an inside tire battery go bad and that of course requires you pull both tires and breakdown the offending tire to replace the battery. The battery was 2 yrs old and it turned out to be a pretty expensive fix while on the road.
    That is precisely my concern with choosing the SmartTire system.

I have the Smartire system on my coach because that is what the manufacturer recommends.

Years ago, in 1997 I think, I bought a Tire Mate system. It had external screw-on sending units with 3 little watch batteries inside. I had a lot of trouble with that system so when the Smartire (inside) system came along I decided to try it. I love it so far (about 1 year old). I did have a sending unit work loose from the strap that holds it to the rim inside the tire but Smartire made it good and replaced it free. I did have to pay for removing the tire though.

Which brand do the different converters recommend?

Camping World quoted me $1800 for a Smartire system on the front tires ONLY! Newell did it for $1200 for front tires only. So the Smartire system seems to be more expensive than the Pressure Pro.

If the external sending units don't give trouble Pressure Pro may be the best bet.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I echo Ray's comments. I had a Smarttire system on my Foretravel for 5 years and not one problem. I have had it on the bus for two years and no problems.