Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fogged glass FIX

Default Fogged glass FIX

Sandy and I just got back from our trip to Alaska Thursday and on my way back to Key West I stopped in at Suncoast Designers, Hudson, FL. They removed the fixed and slider passenger window and the slider driver window ( I had a new fixed driver window installed a few years ago), disassembled, cleaned and reassembled and installed them in 6 hours. All this for $385.20 tax in plus 50 Amp, water, sewer. What a deal, and I got a 5 year limited warranty

How about this, I talked to Jeff Heydon, Mgr, if he would work with us in an exchange program, he said no problem. If we could collect four frames with bad glass send them to him he would hold them until someone needed an replacement, then he would order the new glass and could have them shipped with in 3 days. Remember this. Most of the windows I see at dealers the glass is not reusable as it is etched to bad to be polished out and has to be replaced. As you can see most of my cost was the removal and instillation. A do it yourselfer could get new glass for about the same cost
    www.suncoastdesigners.com
    Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Ed, This was a great post for me. I had no idea this place existed so close to our house. All four of our thermo glass panes have been fogged for years. It has always irritated me but ended up on a " back burner " list. I went to this facility last week and they removed, cleaned, resealed and reinstalled four glass sections. What a great job they did. I watched their equipment clean, heat and press the new seals into place for proper fit and thickness. Apparently they are one of two companies with the equiptment to properly reseal these windows. They don't use nitrogen or pull a vacuum during reassembly. They simply inject dry air. All of the work was performed in one day for under 500.00.

Their Facility has 50 amp hook ups and water for 10 motorhomes. They also provide a waste station on site. They told me different RV clubs call ahead and make reservations to get multiple RV's done during the same week. Customers camp out and stay in their motorhomes while the windows are repaired.

This is a glass company also providing doors and windows for the housing industry. They do no other repairs on motorhomes.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

I desperately need them to clear my fogged driver side window, but they're 500 miles from me! I wish there was a place like this closer to Hotlanta!
    Last edited by michaeldterry; 08-21-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Michael, Order the glass from Prevost and have the body shop install it when doing the other work. The tough part is the removal, cleaning of the opening, and resealing the new window. Prevost service changed my drivers (forward glass) window at a rally several years ago and charged me less than $400.00 for everything. Took about 2 hours.

I had a local glass shop remove the non sliding window on the passenger side and put in a single pane of auto glass. Cost less than $150.00 and they came to me.

Thanks for the input Mike! I'm sure it's good advice. In the meantime, I've sent an e-mail to the President of Suncoast Designers asking for a price on repairing my driver's window with their process if I have my local shop remove and ship it to them.

I don't know why this is, but the local glass shop (Binswanger - a huge company with locations nationwide) that I originally took it to won't touch it (or replace it with a single pane) citing something nebulous about DOT restrictions. I didn't get it....

We just had the drivers and passenger (door) slider windows replaced. The driver's slider was collecting water between the panes. I could have put gold fish in there.....Anyways, these two windows lost their seal and were badly fogged up (common with these windows). I arranged for the local glass company, came to my house and replaced both sealed slider windows with a 1/4" laminate glass.... it is tinted too and cost 189.90. I know its not DOT but.......

jelmore Guest

You all that have done that window replacement, is your frame painted to match the coach? On mine, it looks like the paint overlaps the caulk around the fixed window. It has chipped in a few places exposing the caulk. If yours is painted like that, how do they detail that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell and Linda View Post
    I know its not DOT but.......
    I don't give a flying fish about DOT - I just wish I could find someone local to do it!

Lightbulb

Our window frame is painted a dark grey and with the new neoprene chalking / seal for the new glass is black. It looks good. Close inspection of the fixed window chalking showed signs of drying out /cracking. It was originally black in color. I don't know what they used before as a sealant but it is drying out. I talked to the glass guy and you can purchase this neoprene chalking from glass companies or body shop supply outfits and reseal yourself.

I can understand if your color on the window frame is a light color the black sealant would stand out. I don't believe there is a selection of colors of caulking. But you never know.

Michael, I feel the same way as you. I couldn't understand why the toll window was a double pane in the first place. After a few years, look around, everyone looses the seal. I think the problem is that movement (sliding back and forth causes the lost of a seal). Hey, the widows that were placed in my coach are a laminate,, simular to the windshield.

I went to a smaller local glass company. I mentioned to them that I understood that the glass didn't meet DOT.....and If they didn't mind, I didn't.... you know "Top secret stuff" ..... cash deal