Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beached Bus

prevostbrad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Michael, if you ripped that capped pipe stub out of the Aqua-Hot you may have doubled your repair bill, now that we have seen what Prevostbrad has come up against in pricing the unit.

So Sorry, JIM
    My thought exactly. At least this is covered by insurance.

Thanks to all for the guidance, suggestions, and (uncharacteristic for POG ) sensitivity in helping me put this episode behind me!

Jeff Bayley Guest

Michael- I did something similar and it wasn't as bad as I thought in the end. The frame of the door (not the skins) was able to be rebuilt and good as new and when I went by a body shop for the best frame, I was surprised to see them straighten by pounding on a 4x4 piece of wood and a sledge hammer. Course if that won't make it like new, then might as well have them replace that floor by welding a new one in since your going to claim it. I didn't claim mine. Oh, I wasn't driving. I had hired an older and very experienced driver to go out on the town so I could drink and ride around and he did it.

JDUB,

I guess we won't have to look too far this year.

wideturn_2713.jpg

mm

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    JDUB,

I guess we won't have to look too far this year.

mm
    I take back what I said about the sensitivity!

Every damn one of the folks here are quietly saying "there but for the grace of God go I" so that is the real reason for the compassion, or what seems like compassion.

There is nothing structural in your damage unless in driving it off the island you twisted the bay structure. I'm looking at your photos and what I see is a need to strip the affected compartment(s), jack out the deformation, maybe cut and weld the more severly twisted structure, replace the skins and then start work on the Aquahot.

The repair shops will make it seem like a bigger deal, but it looks like it is an easy fix relatively speaking. If it included a lot of systems plus paint then it would have been a serious oops. Don't let your insurance company take it anywhere but a Prevost shop. They are about to learn about bus conversions and I hope you don't get victmized again.

rodburtonmusic Guest

Mine was last fall, coming out of a toll booth in WV. Cost me the small section between the entry door and front wheel, the wheel cover and 2 bay doors.

I didn't cry....but could have.

I appreciate all the encouragement, guidance, and suggestions. I'll admit that I am becoming concerned about many of you insisting that these repairs must be done by Prevost. The two Prevost centers closest to me are Goodlettsville, TN (245 miles) and Jacksonville, FL (392 miles). My local RV center of choice, Apalachee RV in Auburn, GA has taken care of the bus since I bought it and is factory trained for AquaHot and many other converter side systems. They also have solid hands on experience with Prevost products and have excellent customer testimonials. To the extent that I am unable to make an extended trip to a distant Prevost service facility and am very reluctant to just "drop the bus off" and leave it to be repaired in my absence, my gut tells me to let Apalachee step up and handle the repairs, so I can at least do personal hands-on inspections as the work progresses. What say you? Am I naive? (wait - don't answer that!) I mean - is there any reason why I should not let Apalachee take this on, since I intend to "ride herd" on the process? For what it's worth, Apalachee has an excellent reputation with my insurer, American Modern.

If you ever saw the structure of an RV, and compared it to the structure of your bus you would know sending it to an RV dealer it is like sending a Mack truck to the local Chevy dealer for repairs.

Having said that Prevost will do the following. To the maximum extent they will not jack out bent framework but will replace with new to the maximum extent possible. While that is an approach any one is unable to criticize, there will be a lot of cutting and welding on your coach and I don't think the end result will be any different in quality than a good straightening job. I would just want to be sure that the RV dealer understands what they are getting into.

The bay structure is not part of the bus integrity. It literally hangs down from the main support structure which is above the wheel wells. I say that because if Prevost gets their hands on your bus you will be old and gray before they get done. But nobody will do it as well. You just have to decide the route to go.

jelmore Guest

Jon, you mention welding ... aren't there some welding caveats on these? Seems I've read that in several places. Wonder if an RV dealer will know about such things.