Thread: Beached Bus

Threaded View

Default Beached Bus

I must be insane for admitting to this here on POG, but I figure that it will eventually be uncovered anyway - and I'd rather tell my side of the horror story first. Yesterday while turning the bus around to pull out of a Binswanger Glass location, I "beached" my bus on a curb/island when the bus tires sunk into the soft ground on the inside of the island that my bus ended up straddling during the tight maneuver. Before I realized what had happened, I was hopelessly stuck on the island and in trying to get off, I yanked the AquaHot exhaust pipe completely loose, buggered up the bottom of one of the bay doors, and bent the outside floor edge of that bay (the AquaHot bay). We've contacted our insurance company, American Modern, and they are having the adjuster contact us in the next couple of days to set up repairs. We've got a $1,000 deductible, so it's not going to be a cheap fix, even with the insurance! As soon as I saw what I'd done, I became literally sick to my stomach. In almost 30 years of driving a bus, I have never "high-sided" one (and can count on two hands the number of times in 30 years I've even clipped a curb with the rear wheels!).

Okay - bring on the taunts and jeers! I earned them! I'm embarrassed, humbled, and humiliated by my display of poor driving skill. My only hope is that the repairs will erase all evidence of my blunder! I feel like I dropped my child on her head!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Well - now what? Do I have to wear a POG dunce hat in public for the next year? You guys cannot beat me up any worse than I've already beaten myself!
    Last edited by michaeldterry; 07-31-2009 at 01:42 PM.