Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beached Bus

Default Beached Bus

I must be insane for admitting to this here on POG, but I figure that it will eventually be uncovered anyway - and I'd rather tell my side of the horror story first. Yesterday while turning the bus around to pull out of a Binswanger Glass location, I "beached" my bus on a curb/island when the bus tires sunk into the soft ground on the inside of the island that my bus ended up straddling during the tight maneuver. Before I realized what had happened, I was hopelessly stuck on the island and in trying to get off, I yanked the AquaHot exhaust pipe completely loose, buggered up the bottom of one of the bay doors, and bent the outside floor edge of that bay (the AquaHot bay). We've contacted our insurance company, American Modern, and they are having the adjuster contact us in the next couple of days to set up repairs. We've got a $1,000 deductible, so it's not going to be a cheap fix, even with the insurance! As soon as I saw what I'd done, I became literally sick to my stomach. In almost 30 years of driving a bus, I have never "high-sided" one (and can count on two hands the number of times in 30 years I've even clipped a curb with the rear wheels!).

Okay - bring on the taunts and jeers! I earned them! I'm embarrassed, humbled, and humiliated by my display of poor driving skill. My only hope is that the repairs will erase all evidence of my blunder! I feel like I dropped my child on her head!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Well - now what? Do I have to wear a POG dunce hat in public for the next year? You guys cannot beat me up any worse than I've already beaten myself!
    Last edited by michaeldterry; 07-31-2009 at 01:42 PM.

To add insult to injury, Binswanger wouldn't even attempt to replace my fogged driver side window! They said that they couldn't "tamper" with the special D.O.T. glass, or replace it with a different type glass. They were big enough to offer to install the glass if I could get it from Prevost! (Mighty big of them, eh?) After my experience there yesterday, I wouldn't darken their door again if my life depended on it! Bitter? Maybe a little...

Michael,

Don't worry!! I am sure that any flak you get because of this incident will all be in the spirit of frienship and mutual understanding and compassion.

John
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
    Michael,

Don't worry!! I am sure that any flak you get because of this incident will all be in the spirit of frienship and mutual understanding and compassion.

John
    I know you're right, John. I'm just embarrassed as all get out and heartsore that I hurt my "baby"!

dalej Guest

Michael,

Did you try to raise the bus all the way up before you moved?

Smile

Michael, send me those little parts that fell off because you didn't have enough composure to raise the bus before you backed off and I will make you your trophy for OKC.

JIM

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    Michael,

Did you try to raise the bus all the way up before you moved?
    Dale - they say hindsight is 20-20. Frankly - I was so freaked out to find myself in that position that I didn't have the mental acuity to consider all my options before I acted! Damn, I really feel stupid! Arrrggghhh!

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Michael, send me those little parts that fell off because you didn't have enough composure to raise the bus before you backed off and I will make you your trophy for OKC.

JIM
    Jim - I just might take you up on that! (after all - I 'earned' it fair and square!)

Michael:

I Feel your pain! Been there and done that. Now everytime you look at your bus - that is all you see. Some how the painful memory continues to resurface.

Once upon a time I left one of my bay doors open and pulled out of the garage. The door did NOT make it. I told some of my POG buddies. Next thing I know I am being presented with a dented piece of stainless with a turkey on it at a Rally.

Guess it's your time now.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Man, I feel for ya, Michael. It hurts just looking at the pictures.... and it's not even my bus!

Once you've gotten over the shock and the hurt, you'll probably see that the damage isn't quite as bad as you feel it is right now.

Hopefully, the repairs will end up making your baby even more beautiful than before..... and if this is as bad an experience as you have during your bus ownership, well, consider yourself lucky. It always could have been worse.

Look on the bright side..... the paint wasn't even scratched!

Good luck with your repairs.