Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Generator air cleaner dirty

Default Generator air cleaner dirty

Ran the generator for approximately three hours operating the cruisairs. I shut down the generator for a few and then tried to start it again......unfortunately it didn't start.

Checked the start relay and all start circuit wiring and connections. Never thought the issue was a dirty air filter. The generator only has 73 hours of run time since the last change. I finally got the generator running again, with great difficulty,.. and with all the white smoke pouring out the exhaust, killed every mosquito within a 2 mile radius. ...that's a good thing.

I thought, white smoke .......no air or head gasket issue.

I recall reading on another post, someone was concerned regarding white smoke coming out of the exhaust......well here ya go...check the air filter first before spending time on all the electrical stuff.

Question: You should be getting more hours out of the air filter then 73 hours..... anybody else have a simular problem

Darrell,

That's real strange that 73 hours would cause that problem. I think my manual says change it at 200 and I'm well over 100 now. Was there a problem with the filter? I check mine at oil change time and even blowing air through results in very little dust. Were you parked next to a sheep farm while dry camping?

Yeah, that is what throws me. I changed the filter in April. I know that my sound proofing in the compartment is deteriating (chunks falling off) but all I could see is black soot in the filter. The only air intake to feed the gen set comes through a floor vent in the rear of the compartment.........would the sound proofing deteriate into a black soot powder??

Have you checked for an exhaust leak in the generator department?
    GregM

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Greg talked to AAP today and they said it would be perfectly OK to spray .8 GPH into your cruisair condensor.

He also said the after 94 units or anyone who replaced a condensing unit after 94 has the newer more efficiant condensors and larger squirrel cages and housings.

Said many used to do it with the pre 94 units with good results.

Joe
    Interesting, I called Jonny about a 2 weeks ago explaining my problem and he didn't say anything about an upgrade on the fan. I wonder what an newer condenser costs?
    GregM

dalej Guest

Joe!

They were talking air filters not air conditioning.

Lightbulb

Darrell, if you replace your soundproofing here is a good product.

Use the product with the pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA)

I haven't used it yet but I will when I need it. I used one of their other, a thinner product on my aux air comp housing.

Easy company to deal with the material came in two to three day of ordering, rolled in a box, by UPS.

The quiet barrier is protected on the outer surface.

Note that there is thin (MD) 1/8", medium (HD) 1/4", and heavy (SPECIAL COMPOSITE) 1 3/8"

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/soundproofing.html

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/ultra-barrier-plus.html

The product I used was QUIET BARRIER LD COMPOSITE, I required something thinner and with the smooth vinyl on the outer most surface.

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/value-barrier.html

JIM
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 07-30-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks Jim, I found the same site a few minutes ago searching for replacement foam. The more I think about it, it could be the sound proofing. This air filter spins inside the filter housing. It could very well grind up anything that is sucked in there. The thing is, the residue, its like an oily soot (like exhaust soot)...I don't see much foam.

The sound barrier stuff has to be replaced anyway......I was just holding off until fall. With this Liberty, I have to remove the whole generator to get at it to install properly.

Darrell
    Spinning air filter, why? Are you sure? Air filters are to trap air, spinning will only dislodge particiles. Something causing you insulation to deteriorate.
    GregM