Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jon Bus Failure - A Team Summoned

"Three blind mice"

Boy you bail a guy out and this is the thanks you get. No wonder only dogs will fly with him.

By the way pix by Jeff Raymond.

This sounds a little suspect for A1. This is the guy that has a list longer than a Prevost of spare parts that one should carry. Hard to believe he would have spare throttle position sensor and forget a fan belt. The Boy Scout of POG being rescued by revisionist history sheep herders??? Something smells a little jerk carribean fishy to me. "I pity the fool" that has to rely on the A-Team. And to top it off, one of these questionable samaritans takes a cheap shot at a member in good standing who was thousands of miles away in Florida - that is way harsh Taco Boy.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

OK......To all POGgers. I really appreciated the help I got from Mike, Jerry and Gran. The belt exploded (you had to see it) about 15 seconds before I was shutting the generator down for the night. Under any other circumstances it would have been no big deal, but getting anywhere around OSH to chase down a belt would have been a challenge with traffic being what it was, and even if that was not an issue I was in the booth alone so I had no backup to allow me to get the belt and get it installed.

The three guys were all over the problem. I did leave the coach locked, and all the bays except the ones they needed to access locked because I wanted to limit the pain I knew was about to experience, but the repaired generator was running and it performed perfectly from then on. I will carry a spare. Out of sight out of mind. Not any more.

Thanks to JDUB, Mango and Gran.

Item of information for those that are curious. I ran the generator from July 25 when I got there with a full tank until Aug 2 when I left and refueled. It ran from 6:00 AM until about 10:00 PM (16 hrs) with loads ranging from 40 amps to just under 80 amps. I ran two or three Cruiseairs, the hot water heater, and had the inverters function as chargers every morning as well aas running the refrig and other circuits like the TV, coffee maker and the dryer to dry the bath towels.

Total fuel consumed was 71 gallons. When I refueled I used the same truckstop and fuel pump as I did when filling and it was only 3 miles from the camping site so deduct about a gallon for driving. Fuel consumption worked out to about .55 GPH. When I get a chance I will get accurate hours from the meter, but these numbers are not that far off.

Since 750 watts equals a horsepower I think it would be easy to calculate the generator fuel burn based on loads, but my point here is to encourage guys to load up the generators to not only keep them running better, but to not be afraid to run them while driving to keep the coach comfortable because the fuel penalty is minimal.

Mel Torme - Big East Texas "Bite Me" for you.

Beagle Boy - Do you not have a spare generator belt? I rest my case.

A1 - Good call on the generator usage. We used ours like we were running from the police in pretty much the same fashion. Ran it most of the day and then ran the AC from the inverters all night. It auto-started one time while we were there about 6am, but I started it all the other times.

I now have a spare generator belt as well. I had every engine / ac belt known to man but not this one. One other note was that all the hardware on both Jon's and our generator is metric.

Which should be no problem for Loc as the only tools he carries are an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver, which coencidentially would work if you were in a bind and knew how to use them.

Default Trust but Verify

After I had posted a glowing report of the fine work of the POG Power Pack (JDUB, Mango, and Gran) a little voice in my head (I have little voices) said it might be wise to check the generator because of who worked on it.

They were proud of their work and even signed it.

But look how tight the belt was. When I checked further I found the bottom bolt of the alternator had not been tightened.

I corrected the problems and added my signature to the generator.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jon,

Granville wouldn't have made that belt loose error, he was probably pre-occupied looking over his shoulder while the Taco Twins where trying to put lambs wool in your air cleaner!

I'm taking Gran out of the picture. I know for a fact he has a high standard and when I dusted for fingerprints his were no where to be found.

The other two are being a little "sheepish" so I think we all know where to focus the attention.

Orren Zook Guest

Jon,

Just out of curiosity could you post the part number for this belt? Do you have a 20kw Kohler (Yanmar)?

I think this was caused by one of Obama's ill conceived energy policies.

The number on the belt is a NAPA 4380.