Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jon Bus Failure - A Team Summoned

Exclamation

Orren, 20kw.

Kohler, alternator belt: Gates 2380 or 6838 these are regular service belts.

NAPA 4L380W this is a premium heavy duty wrapped belt, commonly used by lawn service people, and manufactured by Gates for NAPA. Retail $14.99

JIM
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 08-06-2009 at 11:51 AM.

I replaced mine last week and it was a napa A38,the gen is a 20KW Kohler.I bet that Jons part number really means that the belt is a 4L38.A belts and 4L belts are almost the same dimensions.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Orren, 20kw.

Kohler, alternator belt: Gates 2380 or 6838 these are regular service belts.

NAPA 4L380W this is a premium heavy duty wrapped belt, commonly used by lawn service people, and manufactured by Gates for NAPA. Retail $14.99

JIM
    Corrected post #31 above with confirmed data.

JIM

Exclamation Kohler Auxiliary Generator Belt

I have found what I believe to be the best Kohler Generator belt.

It is, Dayco Top Cog Gold Label 17380. $9.49

The link is for the Dayco store locator.

http://dayco.know-where.com/dayco/

JIM

Jeff Bayley Guest

I do keep at least two extra gen belts, a thermostat, a spare volatage regulator, as well as all the other engine belts...... but I can't resist to put a plug for my spare 3,500 watt pony generator in case of a generator failure. Of course most of know that I use mine to run one bedroom air at night when boon docking and not just gen failure.

Great date on the fuel consumption from Jon which I know a lot of us have been wanting to quantify once and for all including the efficiency for running it while moving down the road.

JDUB- Did I understand correct that you can run at least one A/C most of the night on batteries ? Do cruise airs draw less power than roof airs ? I talked to a Vantare owner (a late model one) that said his air would run for an hour or hour and half on batteries. I think Jello said his ran all night on batteries also. How many of you have luck with this ?

Jeff,

I actually ran two Cruisairs all night, but the outside temp was falling thru the night and the compressors only ran intermittently.

I have to think Cruisair and roof air draw around the same amps but I don't know for sure. Our fans run all the time, so that might be different from a roof air, but I have never had a coach with them, so I can't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    Jeff,

I actually ran two Cruisairs all night, but the outside temp was falling thru the night and the compressors only ran intermittently.

I have to think Cruisair and roof air draw around the same amps but I don't know for sure. Our fans run all the time, so that might be different from a roof air, but I have never had a coach with them, so I can't say for sure.
    Fans running constantly (when the units are turned on), or intermittently according to the thermostat, is selectable. I think the default was on, as my were, but it is easy to change this. Consult the manual for the procedure.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post

Item of information for those that are curious. I ran the generator from July 25 when I got there with a full tank until Aug 2 when I left and refueled. It ran from 6:00 AM until about 10:00 PM (16 hrs) with loads ranging from 40 amps to just under 80 amps. I ran two or three Cruiseairs, the hot water heater, and had the inverters function as chargers every morning as well aas running the refrig and other circuits like the TV, coffee maker and the dryer to dry the bath towels.

Total fuel consumed was 71 gallons. When I refueled I used the same truckstop and fuel pump as I did when filling and it was only 3 miles from the camping site so deduct about a gallon for driving. Fuel consumption worked out to about .55 GPH. When I get a chance I will get accurate hours from the meter, but these numbers are not that far off.

Since 750 watts equals a horsepower I think it would be easy to calculate the generator fuel burn based on loads, but my point here is to encourage guys to load up the generators to not only keep them running better, but to not be afraid to run them while driving to keep the coach comfortable because the fuel penalty is minimal.
    Ran my generator for 47 hours while dry camped in a hotel parking lot in OK a couple of weeks ago. Outside temperature was over 100 degrees both days and we had all 3 cruiseairs running along with other normal stuff. Generator consumed right at 0.7 gph over the 47 hour period.

Computed as the difference between what my Pro Driver showed as fuel consumed and the fuel required to fill the tank. I reset my "leg" setting at every fillup and it has been very accurate at predicting fuel consumed when the generator hasn't been used.

That's very consistent with my numbers because the outside air temps in OSH were in the 80s and I only had two ACs operating.