Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tag Axle Lubrication

Orren Zook Guest

Mike,

I've never seen one of the caps you have in person, does it use a red plug under all that armament? or what fills that hole in the plastic window?

I had a seeping leak from my cap about 4 years ago. I determined the crimped fit of the plastic and the white metal housing was not tight enough. I cleaned it completely using solvents and then sealed it with RTV silicone, spreading it with my finger and trying to work it into the seam between the plastic and metal.

It has worked for 4 years with no leakage at all so if the cap does leak it can be easily repaired.

Default Tag Axle leak first day of ownership

Picked up my Liberty Elegant Lady yesterday. Drove from Jacksonville to the Flying J in Seffner to top off. While fueling, I noticed oil coming from the driver's side tag axle.

In looking at it, it seems easy to replace the outer piece. I am going to replace the oil as it looked pretty nasty when it came out.

I have removed the red plug and the oil is exactly even with the bottom of the hole. Looks like it was overfilled.

Looks like I need the turkey baster to get the old oil out.
    Last edited by ToyMan; 02-18-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

Orren Zook Guest

Ron,

Sometimes it's just the plug in the middle of the cap that causes this seepage. You should be able to buy one for less than $2 and try that as a fix before changing out the cap. Stemco, Chicago Rawhide and National plugs are interchangable so brand won't make a difference. New six bolt caps can run anywhere from $7 to $16 depending on your application.

Need some help. I had some oil on my front rim while in Maine which I thought was from a leaking fill cap. When I got to Illinois from Maine the rim was absolutely covered in oil. I purchased a whole new cap assembly thinking I would replace it all to be safe. Also bought an X-12 to remove 4 lug nuts to facilitate removing the chrome ring to get to the cap bolts. Anyway once I removed that piece I looked closely for where the oil was coming from and it appears that its coming from around the rim of the cap assembly where its bolted to the axle. Could I have a bigger problem then I thought? maybe an inner axle seal? Would the gasket for this cap just go bad? There is a tire and wheel shop not to far away if needed. ANY SUGGESTIONS?????????????

Patrick: I experienced a similar situation in Spearfish SD right after getting my present XL2. I discovered the ring of bolts around that secure the cap in place were loose enough to allow the oil to sling out when traveling and the evidence only showed up after running a long distance. In those days I would/could / did run 700 plus miles a day. Snug those puppies up and clean the oil that has leaked away, refill the bearing oil level to the proper level and see if that cures the problem. It was only occurring on the drivers side front in my case.

That has been some 40,000 miles ago and so far so good.

You and Sherry travel safe. Does she drive the bus after that airplane ride in Owls Head?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Patrick,

You should be able to get a new gasket or the entire cap assembly from any truck parts house or even some NAPA stores. The parts are cheap and it does not take long to change it out.

Are you going to make it to Durango? We are in site 67 at Alpen Rose Rv park. Let me know when you plan on showing up.

Thanks for the replies.
    Roger, yes Sherry does spell me for short periods behind the wheel. I'm trying to get her proficient enough that she can do all the driving while I relax.
    Andre, we should be there late Sunday or early Monday. looking forward to seeing you and your wife. Hoping Scott,Cindy and JJ make it also. It should be a great time.