Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GEICO experiences?

Default GEICO

We are new Prevost owners and we checked out virtually every agency. I was finally told that GEICO is new to RV coverage and they were underpriced right now, based on very little claims history for this product line, which most likely will not last long.....when I talked with Progressive, they told me that GEICO had the best rates now hands down.
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by dsaylrn View Post
    We are new Prevost owners and we checked out virtually every agency. I was finally told that GEICO is new to RV coverage and they were underpriced right now, based on very little claims history for this product line, which most likely will not last long.....when I talked with Progressive, they told me that GEICO had the best rates now hands down.
    Debbie
    Dwight and Debbie, welcome to the group.

You need to compare insurance rates from Explorer, one of our sponsors.

Ph, 888-774-6778.

There are many past discussions about insurance, do a search.

JIM

Default Welcome to POG!

Quote Originally Posted by dsaylrn View Post
    Debbie
    Dwight & Debbie - welcome to the asylum! Never fear - most of the inmates are harmless! Tell us a little about yourselves and your new bus! It saves us having having to make up lies about you to fill in the blanks! Do join in and have as much fun as you can take. There is an incredible amount of knowledge and expertise about all things Prevost and conversions within this group. Don't be shy about asking questions about your new bus and sharing your own knowledge/expertise. You'll always get answers to your questions and sometimes they're even correct! Your POG membership is the best $10 a year you'll spend on your bus!

I see you're in Salem, AL. That's only a little over 2 hours from us. When you are in the Atlanta area, give us a shout for an impromptu POG micro-rally or even for just a quick meal to swap bus stories and other lies!

I think before you make an insurance decision you should consider the experiences of those who have had to turn to their insurer.

Stroking a check for the cheapest insurance makes us sound like the smartest folks on earth until we have a problem that involves our insurance company. When that occurs, and you find yourself on the line trying to explain your 45000 pound bus is not a Winnebago and that you need a wrecker big enough to handle the bus, and that you are not going to get it repaired at the local Camping World you know you are in trouble. Very few people, including most insurance companies can even picture what a Prevost is, and fewer still understand the relationship between Prevost and the converters.

I will continue to remain with National Interstate. They truly understand what a bus conversion is, and how to deal with problems arising as a result of accidents or incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I think before you make an insurance decision you should consider the experiences of those who have had to turn to their insurer.

Stroking a check for the cheapest insurance makes us sound like the smartest folks on earth until we have a problem that involves our insurance company. When that occurs, and you find yourself on the line trying to explain your 45000 pound bus is not a Winnebago and that you need a wrecker big enough to handle the bus, and that you are not going to get it repaired at the local Camping World you know you are in trouble. Very few people, including most insurance companies can even picture what a Prevost is, and fewer still understand the relationship between Prevost and the converters.

I will continue to remain with National Interstate. They truly understand what a bus conversion is, and how to deal with problems arising as a result of accidents or incidents.
    Jon is (as usual) right on the money (pun intended). We originally insured Evangeline with American Family Home Insurance based on price and reputation. We had a relatvely minor claim last August (an unfortunate parking lot "incident") and the company paid the claim with no muss/no fuss. We were quite pleased - until the other shoe dropped. In November, I got a notice that American Family declined to renew my policy for the coming year. I re-shopped and this time, based on the collective experience of several POG members, went with National Interstate through the Explorer Agency. Kraig Kelly with Explorer made the switch simple and painless. At the end of the day, the premium difference was just a few dollars more than I was paying anyway! Lesson learned: Take the advice of "those who know" and don't "cheap out" on the important stuff!

We've had GEICO on our cars for over 30 years, and I have been very happy with the service and premiums. When we started to insure the bus, GEICO was several hundred dollars more for the same insurance. From my discussions with GEICO, I got the impression they have minimal experience with insuring Prevosts. I would definitely check with National Interstate (Explorer) before buying insurance on the bus.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

When we were shopping for insurance last November Geico was less than 1/3 of the cost of Progressive but would not do actual value.

Be VERY careful when insuring your coach. When I purchased my first coach, I put it on AAA with my auto policy. I learned later that it was essentially insured as an automobile, and if I'd needed help, I would have been in a bad way.

Make sure that you go with a company that insures RV's, and preferably bus conversions. Explorer has been mentioned several times, and was my insurer when our bus was involved with the hangar fire. I can't speak enough for them.

Ray

I think the bottom line with insurance is that we shop several companies before making the initial decision, then verify we still have a fair price every 3 or 4 years. I think they sometimes raise our prices thinking we are too comfortable to mess with changing companies.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!