Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GEICO experiences?

Default GEICO experiences?

I was renewing my motorcycle insurance with GEICO today, and just out of curiosity asked for a quote on my bus. It came back less than half what I am paying Liberty Mutual. I quizzed the guy about how this is possible, and he said they discount heavily based on number of days per year of usage. (I have only about 60 days usage per year.)

My feeling is that you get what you pay for, but the coverages offered seem to be about the same. Does anybody have any claims experience with GEICO coverage on their bus? Thanks.

We have had National Interstate for a long time. It got its test when our coach caught fire while traveling five years ago.

I have zero insurance claims experience with any other company so I have no basis for comparison, but I can tell you I write a renewal check as soon as it is due. I do this for a couple of reasons.

First, when we first shopped insurance out of all the companies that could cover a BUS CONVERSION they were the most competitive. That may have changed.

Second, when we were standing along side of the road, fire out, waiting for a tow truck I called and instantly got a claim number and instructions to do what I felt I had to do. What I felt was the correct decision was to have it towed almost 200 miles to the closest Prevost Service Center. There was no disagreement and all they asked was I retain the receipts for the tow.

Third, an adjuster was assigned the case and he met with Prevost and the instructions were to restore it to the way it was before the fire or better. He went so far as to authorize the entire AC system rebuilt because excessive systems pressures were the root cause of the problem. There was no argument or discussion whatsoever. He just told Prevost to repair it.

When it was finished I flew down to Prevost, and after additional repairs were made I accepted the coach and the insurance company covered everything but my deductible. No BS, no cutting corners, no arguments.

I would never deal with anyone in insurance that could not understand the difference between a motorhome and a bus conversion. National Interstate understands clearly.

Bryan, I've had GEICO on my vehicles for 30+ years, and they have always been excellent in claims coverage. Both buses I've had were insured with National Interstate (Explorer RV), because they do seem to be very knowledgeable about our units, and they were significantly cheaper than GEICO.

I switched my motorcycle insurance last year from GEICO to another company because of the premium. When I called to cancel the GEICO policy, they told me they would have matched the other company's price if I had given them the opportunity. I am still very happy with GEICO for 4 cars/trucks.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Since I have recent experience with an insurance claim, I'll chime in here. The company that did the repair on my bus had no problems from National Interstate with the estimate they turned in. It was so high, that I volunteered to take the bus for a second estimate. The supervisor at NI told me not to worry about a second estimate, they had insured Prevost buses for enough years to know what the repairs cost. The owner of the repair shop told me that if my coverage had been with a company that did not normally insure Prevost buses, the claim would have been denied and an outside adjuster would have had to come in and look at the bus. He said the "good hands" people were the worst. Regular plastic RV insurance is one thing, but coverage for a Prevost needs to be with a company that knows the difference between plastic and stainless.
    And for what it's worth, we had RV coverage with Foremost for over twenty years and their quote for the bus was over twice what National Interstate is charging.

Steve Cooper Guest

Out of curiosity, I got a quote from National today and it's HALF of my Progressive policy with the exact same policy limits. Is this too good to be true?
    Somebody tell me why I should stay with Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cooper View Post
    Out of curiosity, I got a quote from National today and it's HALF of my Progressive policy with the exact same policy limits. Is this too good to be true?
    Somebody tell me why I should stay with Progressive
    Steve, that's exactly the reaction I had when I got the quote from National Interstate. They are actually less that half of what Foremost quoted for the bus. Switch, you won't regret it.

Steve Cooper Guest

That's one in the plus column. Anybody else?

I apparently have an in with the Geico Gecko who visited our Pilots N Paws booth at Sun N Fun.....Would be happy to call him and ask for a discount for all POG members
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,

I switched from Progressive to National with my first bus and haven't looked back!

Orren Zook Guest

National Interstate will only write coverage on vehicles up to 20 years in age, while Progressive doesn't seem to have this age limit expect the premium rate to double on agreed value coverage.
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 07-30-2009 at 08:24 AM.