Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silverleaf Electronics

Default Silverleaf Electronics

Does anyone use Silverleaf Electronics with the series 60,if so which one and how many parameters does it show?

I'd like to know the answer as well. I had/have (haven't sold it yet) a Silverleaf in the Beaver Marquis and I love it, I never looked at the analog gauges and it is nice to know exactly the digital read out of everything. We have a situation with the gauge cluster in the Bus, the digital temperature gauge is 9-11 degrees higher than the analog gauge and it was determined by Marathon with the assistance of Prevost that the analog gauge is correct and the digital gauge is wrong (the two gauges are fed off the same wire/sensor). I was advised the gauge cluster could be replaced at a cost of $1170.00 + labor. So I guess my point is I'd rather have the Silverleaf as it monitors so much more than the gauges, digitally

I think Kim Sloan has it. (Nrhareiner)

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Silverleaf and OKC

I've beem emailing the people at Silverleaf.

Silverleaf say's they have a rep in the area at the time of the OKC rally and can come by. I'm trying to get them talking to Jim Skiff who I presume would be neccessary to bless their doing a talk. Maybe more so if he thinks the group wants it. I think they would have products on hand to sell and they say they can spend some time doing the basic set up and maybe they can show other owners of it a few new tricks. Out of fairness to the rep and also members time, I guess we could get an idea of what the interest is for people buying any of their products. Maybe a memeber that owns the Silverleaf can do just as good a job but the rep is supposedly not going far out out of his way. I'd like to get my stuff ahead of time if their's no demand and fiddle around with installing and playing with it at the rally.

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com The VMSPC is the lap top version.

I think at least a half dozen POG'ers have it and everyone seems to love it. For those that missed some of the comments here's just a few but you can find more by searching for "Silverleaf" on the search function. http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...ght=silverleaf

I'm going to get this whether they come to the rally or not. It's only $400 including the hardware adapter and the software instead of $1,200 for a new Pro Driver. 1/3 the price, 3 times better. I'm posting this for other Silverleaf owners to find out how many are coming to OKC and also to get suggestions on which spare monitor to get since the Pro Driver can come right out of the dash and a jig saw or dremel or the like can be used to make the opening larger to accommodate a 7" monitor. I think there's enough room but still need to measure. I saw a spare monitor on Silverleaf's sites that one of the members here pointed out ( http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/?q=node/84 ) where the owner mounted a 7" monitor on the top left of his dash which was ok but why not stick it where the Pro Driver goes since that is junk (mine anyhow). He must use the array option on the computer. ??? Some people just use a split screen on the lap top and size the windows to see both. Would appreciate opinions from other owners here of how the Pro's and Con's of different set ups. Three's a forum on Silverleaf's site where I'll probably post a copy of this also but not sure how active that forum is.

Here's an excerpt from my response to the Silverleaf rep. See ? Just an excerpt. Shortening posts still needs work I know. If only I could break one hand........wait, bad suggestion. Might provoke a freak accident at OKC.

Jim- After reading your email I decided it's best not to attempt a dedicated computer. But if you don't hook the computer each time, presume it will muck up your data or does the $400 brain continue to keep tabs ?

I'll have the extra space from the Pro Driver available for a bout a 7" monitor. There's room to remove the panel it mounts to and open the hold a bit more if necessary. Using an array set up for two monitors it should should let you put what ever window (program) you want on the small screen and resize it to fit whether that is the GPS software or the Silverleaf monitor. It's been a while since I used two monitors on one computer which was a tower/home computer and can't remember if it required an accessory to use it. I don't think it did.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 09-05-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Although I don't have Silverleaf instrumentation in the bus, I have had their product in 2 Safari motorhomes. I was very happy with both their product and customer support.

This was a few years ago and, at the time, they impressed me as a class act.

I had Silverleaf in my Country Coach and was very pleased with it. I will put one in my bus when I finally decide on which model to purchase.

Larry and Sandy Dahlin
    2003 Liberty Elegant Lady XL-II

2009 Buick Enclave

I purchased a vms 120 with the pressure pro receiver,they have it on sale for $500.When I found out that I had a charge air cooler that had failed I realized that I would have known it sooner if I had the Silverleaf.It is a easy installation and the amount of data is incredible.I now know that the actual maximum boost is 45.8 PSI,I have also seen turbo boost air temperatures of over 220 degrees,at a little over 220 degrees the DDEC kicks out a air temperature code.I have discussed this with my Detroit Diesel service center and they think that the Prevost installation has some real flaws.The turbo air temperature is OK if the clutch fan is engaged but many times in hilly areas we are going down hill with zero throttle and then we go uphill at 100% throttle,if the water temperature is around 180 degrees it will be a while before the water temperature commands the clutch fan to engage which happens at about 193 degrees,all the while the charge air cooler is getting hotter because there is no airflow across the coils to cool it.I am going to add two electric fans in front of my charge air cooler to try and reduce the temperature.If I can just reduce it 20-30 degrees it will quit kicking out codes.

I had the Silverleaf system in our plastic Country Coach that I ran on a small laptop mounted on a stand to drivers right. I also ran DeLorme Mapping with their GPS, split screan with the Silverleaf. I was neat having all the information from the system and it maintains a history like the Detroit system. With that setup, I had three speed readings, which were always within one MPH of each other. I left it in the coach when we sold it because there is just not room in the Liberty for a computer stand. It may well have saved my engine last week, but I will never know.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Larry-

Two possible suggestions. You could get a mini computer like this HP with dimms of 10.3 in (L) x 6.77 in (W) x 1.04-1.29 in (H) Under $300. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...ni110mi_series as a dedicated system if it would fit on your dash or you could put a small remote LCD screen where the old Pro Driver is and view your stats there and let the mini computer stow away somewhere like an overhead compartment or maybe between the front dash and the windshield. I'm sure you could set the preferences to keep from hibernating if you close the lid so the CPU and monitor output keep working. They also have in dash systems like a Pro Driver but better (and cheaper).

Jeff Bayley Guest

Although I started this thread on Silverleaf, I never got one but now I'm ready since I'm using the bus again. I have to re-read my own comments to pick up where I left off as I had done a bit of research on it that I've now forgotten about. Thought to see if anyone else had picked one up since the time this thread fizzled out or had any other good set up ideas. I'm planning on disposing of my Pro Driver (unless someone says that's a no no) and just using this which means I have the space in my dash for a small monitor or I might just get a compact laptop dedicated to it. It will sit on my dash just fine and it can double up for other minor stuff also.

Anything new I should know about before I call the guy at Silverleaf and decide on a system ?
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 05-08-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo