Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help 97 vogue

I'm out of time. My only open day without firm appointments is Tuesday, and that is going to be spent setting up the pilotsnpaws booth in my garage prior to packing and loading it for the EAA Airventure where we have a booth.

I actually think Joe Cannarozzi is closer and I would recommend him to go look at it.

Let me give you a pessimistic perspective. I want you covered so as issues arise you will have compensated for them.

That bus is at the age when to make it trouble free (chassis) it needs to have air bags less than 10 years old, brake chambers less than five years old, brake pads and linings with adequate remaining thickness, and likely new or nearly new suspension system valves.

If 2 air bags needed replacing you can bet the farm the others are either nearly new, or they need to be replaced.

Tires need to be less than 5 years old and free of sidewall cracking.

I would insist on receipts or a maintenance log. Absent proof the coach has had continuing preventive maintenance I would plan on every single drop of fluid and every filter needing to be changed. I have yet to hear any owner, including those that I know don't do a damn thing on maintenance until something is broke, say they do not maintain their coach properly. The standard BS is maintenance has been done by the converter or Prevost. I think some owners think if they take a coach to Prevost to replace a light bulb that constitutes Prevost maintenance. My point should be crystal clear...if there are no records proving continuous timely maintenance, treat it as not having been done.

As to the interior, although the interior is down on my list of things that are important, the interior is the first thing we look at. If it smells, if it shows signs of abuse, or if it is just worn out we're done looking. People usually ignore the mechanical stuff while they keep the cosmetics looking good. If the cosmetics, such as the interior or exterior have not been well maintained you can be fairly certain the engine, transmission, coolant, generator, etc have been ignored.

I would not buy a coach without having Detroit / Allison pull the codes.

There are a lot of very good coaches on the market, most being sold by the owners who will be proud to show you the coach, show you the maintenance records and answer every question you have. This coach may be one of them. But if it does not work out, you can be assured there are others out there.

Thank you Jon, your comments are greatly appreciated. I guess my enthusiasm for a prevost at a great price is just to much for me to handle. But as of right now I am the high bidder at 100,000.00 dollars. The auction is over Tuesday. If the owner is telling the truth is this a great buy or not.

Because of it's age, i would want to know where it's been serviced and get more info if possible from those people. But Jon's right, there is so many things to verify, time is on your side. Take your time while searching.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Make your e-bay purchase subject to inspection. If it turns out to be a money pit, all you have invested is the time and money spent to check it out and your not on the hook to buy. Either try to get Joe to help you out or have them take it to Prevost Nashville for a pre-buy inspection. If the seller is reluctant to allow an inspection, run fast the other direction.

Just my 2cents if you buy it from a private party they can be of help down the road. I had this happen to me a couple weeks ago and it sure is nice to have someone that knows your coach!!

lonesome george Guest

Default Price

Charlie,
    IMHO if this owner is willing to sell this coach for 100k, that is what he thinks it worth.
    What I take from the pictures is this bus needs to be looked at very carefully as well as the maintenance records.
    Take a deep breath and take an even closer look at the coach.
    A bus needs a little work can consume a big pile of cash!

Well a '97 for $100K is a pretty good deal if it doesn't have a major glitch in it somewhere, but the mileage is high for a 12 year old coach if you assume most coaches average 10K miles a year.

However, from looking at the pictures, I would not put a Vogue in the same class as a Liberty or Marathon which could be a steal at that price. But I have to remember that I sold my '92 40'er just a little more than a year and a half ago for $137 and it was no where near as nice a coach as this one could be.

I don't remember how long the auction lasts, but having Joe go over it would be cheap insurance.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

At least have it taken to Prevost in Nashville for a PDI. I can tell you that the coach looks well used...and rather high mileage as Jerry stated. If it has been well maintained mechanically that should not be a major concern. If you want to remove all of the initials ect. and repair the paint along the waist line, if done properly, would be 4 to 5 grand. Look closely at the paint, you can see rivets exposed with no paint covering them...have they been replaced? are they a result of stress? The coach batteries are missing the cover, and the support brace for the cover is laying in the jack tray...not a sign of quality maintenance.
    If you are satisfied with the interior fine, if not, the recovering or the replacement of the sofa (look at the lower section for stains ect) look carefully at the rug in front of the sofa...not signs of a well cared for coach. You can easily spend 10 grand on the interior. Please understand, without looking a the coach first hand, it is very difficult to see items of potential need, just pointing out a few items that are obvious. Tires could be 5 grand if needed to be replaced....all things that could make a coach that seemed to be a good buy a real surprise! Be cautious.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

The eBay description states "The prior owner took great care of this vehicle's exterior," but several pictures show paint pealing under several windows. For me that would be reason number one to not trust this seller. Looks rode hard and put up wet but the only way to know for sure is to see it in person. Pictures are nice but I bet there's more to the story than what you are seeing. Buy it for your current bid and be willing to put that much in it again and your good to go. A decent paint job will run you $30,000.

I don't want to rain on your parade, BUT you have less than two days left and you made your bid on the 11Th two hours after the listing hit eBay. I think I would have been getting the advice your getting now, before you bid on the bus. Everything the fellas could suggest appears to be moot because it looks like you have bought yourself a bus unless you get lucky and someone out bids you. I don't think I would buy something as complex as these machines are, sight unseen. I know your reeeeeally excited but like you say, you don't want your dream to become a nightmare.