Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Cellular Booster System

Andre we will be in OKC. The following is the lastest info we have on Verizon in UT and CO.

CO
    Durango - Alpen Rose RV Park - good verizon

UT
    Monument Valley - Goulding's RV - inconsistent and poor wifi, no sat or cellular for ATT or Verizon. (you are in a canyon) one mile outside the campground is good wifi at the resort office or resturant, and good Verizon

Blanding - Blue Mountain RV Park and Trading Post - good Verizon, fair ATT

Moab - Riverside Oasis Campground and RV Park - Great Verizon and ATT

We will be in southern UT for the next month and then heading to WY.

Lloyd, I got a question.

Since the fire I have been using a Sierra modem in my Mac. It's ATT based, and works fine. My concern is how long can these be run without either overheating or causing problems?

It seems if you put the cellular modem in a celluar router, and use wifi, then you are generally leaving this plugged in and possibly on 24/7.

Is there any concerns about that, or do you routinely turn the system off?

Ray

Ours stays plugged in the router 24/7 and has never heated up. We use the USB760 for Verizon most of the time.

The only time we turn it off is when we are in a great WIFI location (which is rare). Currently here in Moab it is turned off because the Wifi is great especially in the evening.

The Mac will heat up before the modem.

If you decided to buy a Cradlepoint MBR 1000 Router. Call the 3Gstore.com they have the best phone support. They really know their stuff. Victor is the best with Mac systems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default New Gizmo?

Has any one of this forum tried the new "MiFi" from Verizon on their bus???
    It's A new gizmo about the size of a credit card? and can feed upto five wireless devices.

Availablle Thru verizon on a two year deal- just looking for some feedback.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Here is a link to a review:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...i-2200-review/

The only limitation will be your distance to the cell tower.

Lloyd,

I just made my first trip with the Cradlepoint and a new 3G aircard. It worked very well and faster than the old Kyocera card and the K1 router.

Jerry glad it is working well for you. We have been really pleased with ours. Which 3G card are you using and which provider? We need to buy a new ATT card and are looking for recommendations.

jelmore Guest

Andre, most campgrounds where you would want to stay for a while will have WiFi, even if there is no cellular signal. You could easily make your choices based on that. You just need to get a spot close to an antenna to keep your speeds up. And, I've never heard of a campground using satellite for public internet access.

A word of caution if you're trading . . . I've heard of people going over their 5 gigabyte limit (very expensive) by streaming data all the time.

We work and travel full time and use a Sprint and a Verizon card. We sort of plan our routes based on their coverage. See these links:
    http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...ype=NEWREQUEST
    We're on AT&T for voice so we check here: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

We use the Cradelpoint CTR350 router. You can hot swap data cards with no issues. No external antenna and it fits in a drawer out of site. http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/...oadband-router

Lloyd, good to hear a first hand good report on the Wilson set up. I never have gotten my head around where to run the wires and hide things.

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Just to make it clear what I am trying to do, this trip we are taking to Buckhorn Lake and OKC Rally in Sep & Oct is a test for a much longer trip next year. The problem I have is that my wife is EXTREMELY dedicated (obsessed ?) to her job. If she cannot connect things will not be pleasent for me. So I am gathering as much info as possible in the hope that things work out on this upcoming trip, then next year I wil finally get out on the road like I want to. I have to show her (not tell her), that we can connect to the net and work on the road in a reliable enough fashion that she can do her job. I have a wifi antannea on the roof and a Sprint & Verizion data card connected to an MBR-1000 and a Wilson celluar amp. If I can't get connected wth all that, I guess it will be time to give up.

Thnaks to evryone for all the information.