Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No power on right side of bus.

Default No power on right side of bus.

I plugged into a 30 amp source at a friends place and got a warning that I was connected to 'reverse polarity'. The source breaker tripped and I unpluged the bus. Now I don't have power on the right side of bus on Battery power. The Gen. powers everything as normal. I checked breakers for the right side and the GFI on right side. I have to get deeper into the drawing but not sure what other protections there are for this condition.

Hell of a day--first the Check/Stop Eng.. light and now this. Some days you are the windshield and other days you are the bug.

dalej Guest

Larry,

I'm taking it that you have inverter power in at least some parts of the bus. Is this correct?

If so, I would think that you have a double throw transfer switch that is only letting one side through. This is only a guess. I have had trouble with the transfer switch before. Generator or shore work good but when I rely on the inverter the transfer switch doesn't let it through.

Good luck!

Larry,

You have a built in surge guard from CC. Just reset the leg that isn't working. On my 2000, it was in the curb side bay forward of the battery bay.

Dale - His CC has an automatic pass through for the AC.

Tom, I don't have a booklet for the surge protector, so how do you re-set the unit? I see a key labled 'by-pass' and 'on'. Is there something I'm missing here as well?

Thanks

Larry, could one of your Invertors be off Line? I had to reset one of my invertors to get proper balanced power in my bus, about 2 months ago. ( 35amp Resetable Breaker on the side of the Trace )

Gary S.

Thanks Gary but the inverters check out OK. Mine are Heart so a bit different

Thanks for the help.

Larry,

I believe you turn the key to re-set. If I remember correctly, there is a small light for each leg that should be lit. There are others with CC's here on the board with the build-in surge guard and hopefully someone has a manual. I looked on the net, but the new ones don't have the keys, so they're a little different. Also, make sure the inverters are set to 50 amp, but the AC will pass through anyway. I shut down my inverters on the 2000 CC I had and it had no effect on the shore power, kind of like an automatic bypass.

Larry, I have a surge guard in my Marquis and it wouldn't have anything to do with the inverters. It only protects the system against under/over voltage or reverse polarity from shore power, which it did. The surge guard doesn't protect the bus when the generator is on as the assumption is that it would always supply good power. So back to the inverters. If there is power to both inverters and you have not been able to find another breaker for them I would power down the inverter on the side that isn't working and power it back up in hopes that it will reset. The inverters have their own internal protections against bad power but possibly a little got through the surge guard and tripped something in the inverter.

Default Hidden Breakers

Larry: my 03 CC has a small breaker box in the bay passenger side forward of the battery bay on the inside wall that controls the outlets for both sides of the coach. It may be buried in behind something you have loaded and is not in obvious view. There are about 5 or 6 breakers in that small box. PLus I have a larger one in the bedroom but it has nothing to do with the outlets.

Good Luck
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Larry,

I lost power on the right side on my 99 CC several months ago and it was a less than 3 years old inverter that went bad. I had power with generaqtor on and also on shore power but not on the inverter side. My bus has the same breaker box that Roger was talking about. Check the Right side breaker to be sure you have power going to it on invert. I had power to it and out of it on shore power and on generator but did not have it on invert. I believe those breakers are connected directly to the inverter thus I had no power coming from the inverter.

Took inverter to Xantrex and it did have a bad circuit board in it. All is well now....until something else goes bad.

I know you said that the inverters were good but it does not hurt to check, recheck and then check again. Had a starting problem three months ago and had chassis batteries checked by a converter and they were good. Sunday night went to leave home and bus would not start. I disconnected the batteries and put a load test on each one and found that two failed the load test. Checked ok under the volt meter test but failed under the load test. Four batteries later and a new equalizer everything is good. Bus started, lady in box was quiet and battery balance light was out.

As special thanks to Jon for a recent post of his concerning testing the equalizer!