Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulling the alternator on 8V92

Mike, the web site I previously posted is selling brand new Delco 50DN alternators, your configuration cheaper than I can get one rebuilt and they do not require a core. That's where I got my new alternator. They call them Elreg alternators, but as I posted previously, they are made in Canada and they have Delco Remy cast into the parts.

If you alternator is working and all that is leaking is the main post, I agree with Joe and would just repair that. I would get a gasket kit because when the rear cover is removed I suspect the gasket that is on there will not seal as good as before.

Red face

Update on alternator repair.

The casting around the + terminal has a crack in it allowing the oil leakage. I'll not allow a patch, so were looking at Jon's link and Fla Detroit parts for a replacement. Looking at parts catalog, there are many different configurations, so I want to be sure we get the correct one. Best estimate now from Fla Detroit is $1,100.

No core available because the case is cracked. No ideas on how it became cracked. Work in progress.

Meanwhile, fresh oil, filters and transmission fluid and filters. Still cleaning oil of the the bottom of the coach>

Mike,

I still have my old alternator. No cracks in the case. It's yours if you need it. They have a hefty core charge if I remember. Unless you buy the new and cheaper one that does not require a core from ELREG.

dalej Guest

Well that's right nice of you Jon!

I was going to repair it and keep it as a spare, but I haven't yet so it is available. I think Mike will find he is actually better off to by the new one like I did ($864 if I remember right). Everybody else was more expensive for used or rebuilt ones and they did require a core.

Jon, Thanks for the generous offer. I've talked to Fla Detroit and informed them that its possible I could have core for them. Of course, they were less than excited.

As we live aboard full time, this is very inconvenient and were doing what we can to "move this along". A rebuilt unit is coming from Tampa and will be here tomorrow morning. Hopefully installed and were out of the shop Friday.

We've emptied the refrigerator and freezer, moved all of our valuables (both of them) out and are living out of suit cases until this is finished. Neither Karen or I like not having our home. This is the part of "full timing" that is not enjoyable. We've always stayed with our coach while service was performed, up until now!

Again, Thanks for them offer. If the old unit was not so heavy, I'd find a way to ship it to you for parts as it was still working fine.

If you need the core just let me know.

I am sure you could sell yours on ebay. A crack can be repaired by JB weld if need be. It will not be perfect, but for someone with an old church bus or something like that it may be just what they need.

My core is a splined shaft and not the gear driven. As far as exchange however, a core is a core and since there are less of the two cycle engines the shop would probably rather have mine than yours.

Mike, which Fla DD shop are you in? We are located across the road from the shop in Ft. Lauderdale. Can we help? call 954-646-4490 if so.

Mike,

If they're going in through the bedroom floor, how about taking some pictures for us poor 8V slobs that may have to do a compressor.

toy box, Were in Ft. Pierce. Hope to have it completed this afternoon.

Truk, They wanted to tear out the furniture on the back wall to access the floor panel. No Thanks! They were able to remove the old unit from the bottom as Jon outlined, with some effort. I'm hoping they never need to get "on top" of our engine.

Not to get it back together. Free of all the old oil and grease....

I'll try to load the old unit into my car and store it somewhere???? Gotta do it without Karen seeing it!