Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 91 CountryCoach with no 50 amp service

Thank you Will. I checked the 50- Amp shore cord. Prevost had replace teh end after they broke the original and the ground line was cut too short and had come off the connector.

WE NOW HAVE 50 AMP SERVICE.

The Iota 24 volt Charger still trips the breaker.

Charged the 12/24 v chassis battery bank 4 batteries all night.

The two 12v batteries are reading 13.4 and the to 24v batteries are reading 10.5 is that right or do I have a bad battery.

I am still charging the batteries and will try to start the bus in the next few minutes.

Engine will still not start from the batteries. I dont know where to look to find a switch that will use the house batteries to start the bus they are fully charged.

The portable charger I bought yesterday has a 60 amp starter setting. Can I set it on there and see if that will start the bus or should I just let the charger keep charging the batteries?

Thanks guys.

One other unusual thing. When I started charging the batteries last night the meter on the charger read 20%, before I went to bed it read almost 100%. Jim Craig at Country Coach said run it all night long. When I woke this morning it read 20% again though the two 12v had gone from 10.0 to 13.5 and the tow wire for 24 v moved from 10.0 to 10.5.

Why did the meter drop? is it charging one at a time even though they are in series.

Also should I disconnect the portable charger when trying to get the built in charger to stop tripping the breaker?
    Last edited by lloyd&pamela; 07-15-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Lloyd, I believe you have 4 12 volt batteries in the engine compartment for chassis/engine service. Each should have ABOUT 13.5 volts when charged. These batteries are in a "series - parrellel configuration to give you 24 volts for the starter and those chassis items that require that voltage and 12 volts for other chassis items. All four need to be at or close to 13.5 or you'll have problems. I know of no boost function for the chassis batteries from the household batteries on older CC converversions. Get your chassis batteries charged and it should fire up. I would suggest you charge them individually. the charger/booster wont be of much help in cranking that large an engine. 60 amps might get a small car going, but not an 8V92.

Good work on the power cord. Its always best to start with the simpler things first.

Thank you Mike. That is the configuration. Hopefully they will all be charged by tomorrow morning.

The built in 24v charger is now working and the batteries are 13.5 / 13.5 / 10.6 / 10.6. So the first two are charged and the second two are raising slightly.

The Batteries are AC Delco 31-900 CT

Is this the best batteries or is there a better brand or model if I need to replace any of them?

LLoyd,

The proper way to check the batteries is to disconnect the leads and check them individually. But here is where we can focus on the DC power side of the coach.

Your charger may not be charging the batteries properly or the equalizer(s) may be an issue (I doubt that but we need to keep that in mind.)

Unless your charger is set up to charge at 24 volts you may only be charging the 12 volt side of the chassis battery set up (or vice versa). Is the battery charger a 12 volt or 24 volt?

On a previous thread Mango reposted how his charger is set up, and I believe he has it set up to charge the 24 set up. If my memory is correct, Truk used the same charger, but set his up to charge each 12 volt set. Depending on your charger, you need to charge the batteries like Truk set up his, or like
    Mango did his.

If no luck, the batteries may have been damaged by the deep discharge and you may need to replace the set, but never replace batteries until the charging system is operating perfect.

Have determined that the IOTA DLS 27-25 is a dedicated 24volt charger and has shorted out because of the power surge.

IOTA is shipping me a new charger that I will install tomorrow morning. That should solve all the problems caused by the short caused by the power cord being wired poorly.

We are going to install the new charger and see if that solves the problem. If not we will then drive to Tucson to see Chris Snyder.

Again POG has saved us money and time. Thank you JohnW, John, Will, Mike, Gary, Joe, & Paul