Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone NP Dry camping ?

Johnny Guest

Default Yellowstone NP Dry camping ?

Traveling from Cody WY tomorrow does anyone have any recommendations for dry camping in one of the campgrounds?

Johnny, If you are in a 45', the only place in Yellowstone that you can park is at Bridge Bay. If you are in a 40', you can park at Fishing Bridge or Bridge Bay. These are both on the East entrance to the Park.

If you call this # 307-344-7311, they can tell you of any vacancies they have in and around the park.
    Last edited by dale farley; 07-13-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Johnny Guest

Thanks for the info.

Dale,

How long should I plan on the drive from W. Yellowstone to Cody, WY with the coach? Have to make a drop off at the airport.

Thanks

Gordon,

To whatever Dale's reply is I would add a bit in that there were some pretty serious delays on the north loop thru the park due to road contruction. It was so bad we never went north from the junction coming in from West Yellowstone.

Ok, thanks Jerry. Changed flights to leave out of Bozeman MT to avoid any issues in the park.

Gordon, With no unexpected delays, it is going to take you about 3 hrs from West Yellowstone to Cody. While staying in the Park, I have come from West Yellowstone to the other side of the park in an hour, and at other times, I have come in 3 hours (animals or road conditions). This was in a car.

It is about 80 miles (1 to 1 1/2 hrs)from Cody to Fishing Bridge (first store coming from East entrance). It is normally about 1 to 1 1/2 hours from Fishing Bridge to West Yellowstone driving a car.

If you call 307-344-2117, you will get a recording of the road conditions within the Park, and that will give yo a better idea of what to expect. Of course, you never know when a herd of bison will be on the road.

I just realized you said, "with the coach". I would add another hour to my time, so probably between 3 and 4 hours. There are some pretty twisting roads throughout the Park and a good size mountain to go up and down at the East Entrance. Not too bad, but you will definitely get to exercise your Jake and stay in a lower gear coming down.

If there is no construction to prevent it, you will be much better off to come from West Entrance and go through Canyon Village then to Fishing Bridge headed out the East Entrance. If you go the other way, by Old Faithful, you will normally get into much more traffic, and you will have a larger mountain to climb before you get to Fishing Bridge.
    Last edited by dale farley; 07-13-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

Thanks a lot Dale. We are spending several nights at Grizzly in WY and will have time to see that whole side of the park. I just need to get one of my sons to the airport on our way out, and changed to Bozeman to help eliminate the unknown.

One thing good about that area; there is plenty to see anywhere you are staying. If you go into the Park from West Entrance and go North a little, there is a very nice geyser trail at Norris. Has some of the most acive geysers in the Park, and they go off almost continously.
    Last edited by dale farley; 07-13-2009 at 11:42 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale (or anyone else),

What other pointers do you have for YS? I haven't been there in 25 years and my kids have never been. We like to get out and move around. Any trails that are highly recommended? We will have 3 full days which may not be enough, but it is what we have.

Thanks.