Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Docking Lights

Some people , no matter what our drivin, got something to say. Most of the time its a question or a compliment. There's always someone in the crowd who's the 'park ranger'.
    Jon's as quiet as amouse when he pulls out about 5:00 AM. I think he makes his wife push the Coach to the highway.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I admit the bus is loud, especially at O'dark thirty. But I don't have to air it up, so once it is running I usually put it in gear and idle out of the campground. I'll let other POG members who have had the misfortune of being parked next to me comment on how much noise I make.

Some people are either intimidated by folks that have a Prevost, or are blowhards that have to make smart ass remarks. When we left Spearfish last year we overnighted on the way home around Kansas City at a campground. The guy in the golf cart that led me to the site was all over me about how Detroit Series 60 engines are junk and the bus should have a Cat engine. He probably drove an old Winnebago with a Dodge 318. But I had some fun with him because I made it clear that these buses were so special I even polished my slack adjusters.

The next night Truk ended up in the same campground and he knew I was there because the guy that likes Cat engines had to tell him about the nut in the Prevost that polishes slack adjusters.

When folks get on me about the Prevost I usually can't help myself and somehow get something outrageous in the conversation.

Still early on my learning curve, but I discovered I didn't care for driving in the dark on 2 lane roads in deep E. Texas (sorry Ted). Hard to see much without the brights in oncoming traffic and I have even polished the lenses on my headlights.

The interstate is another story all together. Have driven till midnight a couple of times with no bother at all.

I not only was in the same campground, but the same site. I knew I was in trouble when the guy said, "do you polish your slack adjusters." I said hell no and who ever told you that was probably from Tennessee and towing a Hummer. He was a good sport after I explained that the guy with the Hummer was originally from NY and sniffed a lot of metal cleaning chemicals in his day and now spends most of his time in his underwear setting in front of his computer listening to reruns of the Shadow. Then I asked him if the Hummer guy showed him his pet pig dressed like one of the Lennon sisters.

He was laughing as he drove away in his golfcart!

I thought I was the only one who had to listen to these folks telling me what a POS a Prevost / Series 60 was. I had some Wonderlodge guru take me to the woodshed one day over this and when I asked him about his Wonderlodge, he said he didn't own one but he had seen a lot of them.

At OSH last year it was the guy in the Newell that looked like it came over on the Mayflower. He went on and one about how expensive a Prevost was and so on. I finally said, "Do I look like I give a crap about how expensive it is?" I asked what kind of plane he had; yep - he didn't own a plane, so I asked was he just there to bust the balls of everyone who owned expensive stuff or did he have a mission in life?

I must have softened up the Cat engine guy for Truk. He wouldn't let up on me about the engines.

I just figure there are some people who resent when other folks seem to have some success, and they take out their frustrations by trying to criticize them or their lifestyle or whatever. But we have also had the opposite, that being folks who are tickled pink that others have succeded and can enjoy what they have earned. We had the pleasure of running across a couple of states with a truck driving team, a husband and wife. When we were splitting up because they were turning south we stopped at a rest area to see who we had been tailing and talking to on the CB.

It turned out they had two trucks on dedicated runs, the father in law driving the other, and they had plans for their lives and careers. I don't doubt that one day they will be driving a Prevost.

Luckily, we do encounter some nice folks as well as those who feel they have something to prove to "that Prevost guy".

On our way back to Florida this past fall, we spent a week in Charleston, SC. There happened to be 2 couples camping near us in a small travel trailer and a very small Class C mini-motorhome, which they were using to tow a fishing boat.

One of the ladies happened by and commented that they had never seen a motorhome like ours up close and had always wondered what they were like. So, Janice asked if they would like to see inside and they were thrilled.

We gave everyone the tour and the guys enjoyed my taking the time to show them all the "business end" of the bus. They seemed amazed that we appeared to be "regular people".

The next day, these folks presented us with several pounds of fresh shrimp they had caught that morning in return for their "tour"

Unfortunately, there does seem to be the presumption by many that Prevost owners are stuck up and only interested in showing off our perceived wealth.

I try to go out of my way to dispel those notions....... I say I'm just the bus driver....

Paul,

I'm with you.

Being restaurant guy it's in my DNA to make sure everybody likes me and is potential Jerk Chicken buyer. So upon arrival at a campground I try to make contact first with my neighbors, usually with a cold one in hand. (No sheep at this point).

You can usually gauge the reaction as they normally assume all us Prevo guys are like Trukman, "stuck up".

Mike

Update....

Rock Auto just sent me an email telling me that my item was out of stock, on back order, no ETA available, my order cancelled and my money returned. Try again later.

Bummer.....