Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kalifornia at it again

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I would rather eat dirt.

Rick, The reason nobody is talking about the Asian cars is because we all know they have dragged our domestic manufactuers kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

We are about to see Hyundai and Kia up the ante some more because they are doing to the market what Toyota did with its Lexus brand.

Those two companies don't have any "halo" cars just yet, concentrating on the basic vehicles, but as they continue to steal customers from other brands they will develop those types of cars also. If Government Motors wants to survive it should forget about copying Honda and Toyota, and instead focus on the two companies that came from nowhere a few short years ago and are making cars equal to or better than anyone else.

Hows that for feeling the love?

I don't talk much about Asian cars because they don't fit 6'6" guys very well. But I think they are pretty well built vehicles.

In the past ten years, the best vehicle I have owned was a Lincoln Continental. I only changed the oil in it. It never had any warranty work or malfunctions. In the end, I just didn't like driving a car.

We currently have three vehicles;

2008 F-350 Super Duty - Great interior / systems - good power from diesel engine and absolutely crappy fuel consumption. The new emissions system on these engines easily cause you to use +20% more fuel. HP is good, but the exhaust cleaning function is a PITA.

2006 H3 Hummer - Easily in the top 5 POS vehicles I have ever owned. Typical crappy GM plastic trim had caused 4 trips to the dealer for repair. They know it's crappy because they keep all the parts in stock to replace it. Inline 5 cylinder engine is worst of all - poor power and poor fuel mileage. But is tows pretty easy.

1979 International Scout - 252,585 miles on the original engine. Gets about the same fuel mileage as the Ford or the Hummer and is seriously easy to work on. R-12 AC is as cold as a whore's heart and after replacing the old York compressor with a rotary one, the truck doesn't shake like a dog crapping a peach seed when you turn it on. I replaced the rear drum brakes with disk brakes last week and they work great. Maybe the best thing is to build your own vehicle out of the best parts from all the others since many of the parts on the Scout are upgraded technology from newer units.

We are looking for a replacement for the Hummer (we will keep it to tow and let our daughter drive it to school) and have driven BMW X5's, Aryan Supercars, Tahoes, Expeditions, and I sat in all the rice rocket SUV's at the Houston Car Show; no joy yet.

We are going to drive a Navigator this weekend and see how that feels. But I can tell you I have purchased my last GM vehicle. Their gross mismanagement and now joint ownership with the UAW keep me from wanting to reward them with my business. Its a dumbass company run by dumbasses with help from governmental dumbasses. Looks like the worst of all worlds.
    Last edited by Jerry Winchester; 07-10-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Bought an 08 Expedition EL at the end of the year during the fire sale. I am very impressed - very well made and thought out. Have always had Fords and Lexus. My 99 F-350 4x4 is still running strong at 202,000 miles.

Last year I took the plunge and bought an Audi S-8. I was prepared to visit the shop frequently, but as of 12,000 miles, not even one rattle. Outstanding fit and finish and great engineering in the drive train. Nothing like a 450 HP V-10 singing out the quad exhaust at redline. As German cars go, Audi tends to be forgotten behind BMW and MB, but they are catching up in popularity in the US, and have surpassed them in quality. I am very impressed with the product.

dalej Guest

Jerry,

Did the Skiffer edit your post? or were you starting to feel bad?

No, I sent it before I proof read it. I am a horrible speller, so I have to be ever vigil.

JDUB,

I wish you wouldn't hold back your feelings on the subject at hand. Just let it out.

mm

While we're kicking tow vehicles around, I'll confess my latest dumb ass move. We gave our 2003 Jeep Cherokee to the oldest grandson for HS graduation back in April. Feeling kinda sporty, I ordered a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and had it fixed up to tow. I hated it from the first time I drove it which was after I had paid for it. No power, rough ride and Jan complained about no leg room on her side. My youngest son loved it, so we gave it to him for next to nothing but reserved the right to use it for hunting trips. Moving up in the world of vehicle comfort and performance, I found an 08 Yukon Denali at a lease company over in Dallas. Made the deal on the phone, drove the jeep over and towed it home with the Yukon. On the way home I said to Jan, get the book out and see what we need to do to tow this baby. She starts looking and reading and ask me if we have all wheel drive or four wheel drive. I tell her it's "ALL Wheel Drive" and that's the same thing as four wheel drive. WRONG!! I have just bought a vehicle that can only be towed on a trailer. All wheel drive and four wheel drive are nothing alike, completely different and AWD vehicles can't be towed four down even around the block. She loves the Denali so we're keeping it and I told my son to forget about paying for the new jeep because I was going to be needing it whenever we went off in the bus. At least I didn't buy no stinking H3 with that mighty 5 cylinder engine.

Default Denali Tow

Ted: I believe Jamie Bradford tows a Denali or Escalade AWD?. Maybe he can coach you on a solution.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

jelmore Guest

Speaking of tow vehicles, we recently went to a Grand Cherokee. That thing is set up to tow. Push a button, wait 4 seconds, turn it off, put it in park, take the key and lock it up. It's all wheel drive, with low available. Too bad it's a hemi. Fun, but terrible gas mileage.