We need a good debate here about our auto industry. Government Motors and the other guys brought this in themselves with their crappy attitudes and crappier products, opening the door for the competition that is now eating their lunch. They needed to get their asses kicked and deserved it.

However, they did learn and I think the cars produced by what was once the big three (maybe not Chrysler) are as good as any in the world. Their problem now is folks still think they make the garbage they used to so it is going to take a huge effort to get back the customers they rightfully lost. It may be too little, to late because as long as the government is involved I see them having the exact same attitudes and quality as the postal service, Medicare, and government in general.

As far as the old cars with Hemis, GTOs, and other light cars with huge displacement engines, that was proof of the lack of sophistication. The foreign manufacturers followed those cars with very small displacement engines and superb handling cars that not only would outrun the big block cars, but would outhandle them. We are only now catching up in that regard also with cars like the Cadillac CTS.

I hope our car industry survives and learns from this so they can restore themselves. This country really needs places our young highly educated kids can go when they get out of school. If we keep going the way we are going they will be selling hamburgers, insurance or work for the government.