Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newell Owners Wanted

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Default No kiddin'

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster
    To the Osh Crew: Motion is on the floor.
    Jon didn't get any POG posting done at Osh. Now look what idle time has gotten him into. It is mandatory that next OSH Jon is to have a laptop with aircard or a new full feature cell phone with web access.
    Withdrawal from posting is dangerous, very dangerous.

Roger, Roger!

Might have had something to do with looking at all the airplanes.

Of course, this may lead, (GASP) to Jon owning 2 buses and then we will have to hear about all the comparisons, different bolt sizes, the alignment of the screws, cotter pin tensions and tensile strengths of the strings on the shades.

He'll have to bench test all of that.

I'm getting in my bus on Monday am and just drive it until it either runs out of fuel or breaks.

Lots of babbling from the peanut gallery, but no substance.

Can it be possible nobody that now owns a Prevost previously owned a Newell?

It sounds like Lew has recognized the same thing I did. From my very brief look at the Newell at OSH it looked like it is on a par with any Prevost, but then again there are some plywood palaces that look good also. Anybody have any knowledge or are you guys just going to go out and get more LEDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg
    It is no secret we love our bling coach, but Di likes the concept of a slide coach. I can accept that since we are sitting longer in campgrounds instead of being in a different city every night.
    Jon, as one of the only two women who attempt to chat with ya'll, I will of course give you my opinion from a woman's point of view.

Having had a non-slide coach, and now owning a slide coach, the slide coach wins hands down. It would be very difficult for me to go back to a non-slide. When you and Di visited us one evening at POG1, I could tell she was enjoying the extra room. The wide rooms make every job you do in the coach so much easier--cooking, making the bed, heck just getting around the end of the bed when nature calls at night. The downside is that you can lose some of your countertop space but with the new coaches having slide out counters I believe they are trying to solve that issue. We have taken two road trips with the slide coach and are headed for our third next week and have not had an issue with the slides. (well, unless you consider Bob forgetting to remove one of the foam end protectors we put on the corners when the slides are out). It sits in our building with the slides out as well. I hope I haven't jinxed us by saying this no problems so far! I do not find it noisier going down the road either unless you are on a really rough highway and I would think additional rattles would factor in with any coach under those circumstances. I know it did with our previous coaches.

I have only viewed the Newells online and they appear to be very well built. However, I will join Mike, JDUB and others for the intervention and convince you that a Prevost slide coach is REALLY the one you want Besides, how can you think of leaving all of us??????? Give me Di's phone number

Debi and BOB-00

win42 Guest

Jon
    My 2 cents on Newells. They are elegant looking. Before we bought our Prevost we answered an ad on a Newell by taking a flight to Palm Springs CA to check it out. It was beautiful, Three things turned us off. The stark hospital operating room apperance of the interior. When I started opening the exterior doors and looking inside the first thing that struck me was the wood construction. Too much like my former plastic delaminating coach. The third turn off was the snooty guy selling it.
    This was ten years ago, they may be different today. I'm aas curious as you to go to the factory and see them naked and give the new interiors a second chance. I'm still stuck with the simple jump in and go camping our single wide Prevost provides us. I'm very jealous of the room afforded by pull outs. In the next coach I'll look hard at pull outs before deciding. They are very nice when parked. It's all personal choice and amount of burnt money your willing to part with.
    Remember the Merry Go Round is limited to one revolution here on earth. Grab all the gusto you can afford and enjoy.
    Harry

matsprt Guest

Default Getting into "it"

OK, while I can't consider myself a true POG member yet as I don't own a Prevost, I can feel Jon's pain.

I threw a small amount of money (relative) at a plastic coach with 2 slides just to try it out. We have found we like the lifestyle. So now I'm on to serious looking for "the bus". Conflict comes from exactly what Debi points out. The DW has been in some of these rolling basketball courts/square dance rooms. She likes the room. I have never owned a non-slide coach. With my current coach closed up it is very functional. We have traveled and not deployed the slides. Once parked, out come the slides and it is nice. I have worked long and hard to keep her happy with the idea of a 2 slide Prevost. I am currently barely holding my own . Newell has come up in our discussions. We have not personally looked inside them yet (I think that's a good thing ).

We recently bought a lot in Indio and before that I seen a total of ONE Newell. Once in ODR we saw Newell after Newell. Hell, I didn't even know they made that many. Admittedly the Prevost's outnumbered the Newells (thank you God). I think Jon has come to an application issue. If space becomes an important factor, then there are more than one manufacturer that can fill that need. 3 and 4 slide CC Magna's/ Affinity's and Newell's make nice highend "plastic" coaches. However nothing compares with an actual Prevost. Apples and oranges.

If you can be happy in a 2 slide bus, that is the best answer (for me anyway). If you require more room then the others come into play. I have not done too much research into Newell. I have heard good things. The owners in our park like them and would buy again. The previous posts are the first I have heard about plywood construction. It warrants some looking into. They are a small builder, service can be an issue, resale/trade-in are also concerns. Good luck Jon, it is not an easy situation. I'm still ok with "just" 2 slides.

Michael
    Last edited by matsprt; 08-05-2006 at 11:07 AM.

Default jpj trip

Just Plain Jeff: You can go along way on full tank in my bus. I assume yours has a mega tank or close as well, So Question is which way are you heading? - .
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Thanks for the comments. We are having some serious discussions and your comments are part of our discussions.

The biggest part of the problem is that Liberty has set such a high standard. We have a very well built and equipped coach and any replacement has to offer the same in quality and amenities.

The standard is so high, that we have not yet found a converted coach we consider better than our Liberty. And we have looked.

The Newell of today however is a vast improvement of the Newells we looked at at FMCA shows in years past. What is unknown is how it will compare when we go past the superficial look and start getting into specifics. The issue of slides is driving the investigation, but it will be a coach of equal or better quality with features equal to or better than what we have that will be required.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Ah, the meds are starting to kick in.

Roger: We are making the spontaneous trip to the Parliament Travel Club Rally in Asheville, NC. They have about one slot that opened up. Anyone who wants it should email stevem@parliamentcoach.com. The idea here is: Join POG, buy a bus, have fun!
    Last edited by Just Plain Jeff; 08-05-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Jeff
    Ah, the meds are starting to kick in.
    Roger: We are making the spontaneous trip to the Parliament Travel Club Rally in Asheville, NC. They have about one slot that opened up. Anyone who wants it should email stevem@parliamentcoach.com. The idea here is: Join POG, buy a bus, have fun!
    YES, grab that beautiful wife of yours Roger and head to Asheville! Jon, why not get permission from the boss and the two of you head on over as well?? We are really looking forward to seeing Jeff and Helen again although I think she was disappointed that I am passing on the white water rafting!! Jeff is right, join POG, buy a bus and have fun

Debi and Bob

Thanks for the invite, but I have the refrigerator in a few pieces while I await a new evaporator fan motor. It quit on the return to OSH and the refrig won't refrig without it. We are getting nervous because we are heading back to NY in a couple of weeks and without the refrig refriging I'll have to drink warm beer while I drive.