Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunshades for the front

I always have my car windows (driver and passenger) tinted to match the back windows. It helps considerably in blocking the intensity of the heat radiating into the car. Washington has restrictions as to how dark the tint can be but they don't substantially enforce it. In the southwest nearly all the cars have added tint to their windows to block the UV and heat allowed into the car. Our tinting guy told me last time I was there that some people that have bright light sensitive eyes have the front windshield tinted as well, so apparently the curvature of the glass isn't a problem. This would be a good alternative to the exterior shades or in addition to.

sawdust_128 Guest

Jim:

The product you cite is not CDF "Clear Distortion Free". Not acceptable for driving glass. Here's one that may work, but is installed with a CDF adhesive by a professional.

http://www.llumar.com/en/Default.aspx

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GDeen View Post
    Don't think it has as much to do with photons of light as radiant heat - dropping the inside privacy shades definitely adds a cooling layer when the coach is facing the sun even with the black sunscreens on. More likely just another insulating layer against the heat radiated from the black screen and glass.

White doesn't adsorb as much heat as black. The reigning czar of global warming wants us to paint our home roofs and cars white - remeber???

That's a trick answer right? I didn't get the bus with the option for the altered set of universal laws of thermodynamics. How much did that cost? It's all about the photons. Even your radiant heat is photons in the non visible Infra red range.

Painting it white is a bad term. Painting it reflective is a better color for reducing thermal load. You can actiaully paint things black and have them more reflective (cooler) than white. It is a function of what's in the paint and usually what's important is what you can't see. Most of the heat action is in the invisible ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust_128 View Post
    Most of the heat action is in the invisible ranges.
    That's what my wife tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust_128 View Post
    That's a trick answer right? I didn't get the bus with the option for the altered set of universal laws of thermodynamics. How much did that cost? It's all about the photons. Even your radiant heat is photons in the non visible Infra red range.

Painting it white is a bad term. Painting it reflective is a better color for reducing thermal load. You can actiaully paint things black and have them more reflective (cooler) than white. It is a function of what's in the paint and usually what's important is what you can't see. Most of the heat action is in the invisible ranges.
    Ok Dustman - you are way over my head. I know my black truck is a lot hotter to the touch than my white car, photons be damned.... I also know that running my white interior shades down significantly lowers the cockpit temp even with the black sunscreen on....photons be damned again! But, as I have read JDub say, I am just a lowly oilfield hand (in fact, much lower than he is).

I am calling the red line at the whitehouse and nominating you as new Global Warming Czar. At least it sounds like you know what you are talking about.

At least it sounds like you know what you are talking about.
    Since when is "knowing what you are talking about" a requirement for leadership at the federal government level? What a concept! Are you listening Mr. Obama???

sawdust_128 Guest

I am calling the red line at the whitehouse and nominating you as new Global Warming Czar. At least it sounds like you know what you are talking about.

Don't you dare. I take it all back. I'm sorry!! What photons? What the hell is a photon and who in the hell cares about photons anyway. Why would you want to even if you knew or could? Don't want none, don't need none, couldn't afford them if I did --- PHOTONS. ----PAHToooooHIE

But, now let me really put a twist in your knickers, that oil stuff you work with, it would not be important if it wasn't full of photons. Oh yeah, your bus runs on photons. And most of all remember, that the universe is expanding and getting so big it will one day turn into, yes you've got it, nothing! Kinda makes plaid bermudas, black socks, sandles and paisley shirts at one time seem O.K.!!

and here I thought it was made of dinosaur turds...what will they think of next???